Caramelising condensed milk...... banoffee pie

b190, Jul 25, 11:56pm
Pak n save didn't have any of the caramel condensed milk. Can you just use regular condensed milk? I've googled how to caramelise it (put unopened tin in boiling water and let boil for 2 hours) Does that sound right? TIA.

harrislucinda, Jul 25, 11:59pm
yesboil3hrsbutmustcoolbeforeopeningIn factthis waytastefarbetterthanbrought

b190, Jul 26, 12:02am
Ok thanks:) I feel nervous leaving anything boiling for 3 hours! lol The tin won't explode?

245sam, Jul 26, 12:06am
Be sure to keep the can COMPLETELY covered with water during the whole time that it is being boiled and to reiterate harrislucinda's advice.....because the contents are dangerously hot, the can must be cooled before being opened.:-))

245sam, Jul 26, 12:08am
Not if it is COMPLETELY covered with water at all times - top the water up, if necessary, with boiling water from the electric jug/kettle.:-))

b190, Jul 26, 12:09am
Do I keep the heat up at high the whole 3 hours? Or turn it down to halfway once it's boiling? Sorry for the dumb question. I've never done anything like this and I REALLY want banoffee pie tonight:)

harrislucinda, Jul 26, 4:34am
justkeeptopping waterupasboilingthatlong willreduce ,evensimmeringwillstillwork

b190, Jul 26, 9:44am
All done and dusted, thank you guys! I oculdn't have done it (the caramellising thing anyway) without you:) It's delicious albeit super DUPER sweet!! I have a sweet tooth but this banoffee pie is one sickly dessert!!!

b190, Jul 26, 11:56pm
Pak n save didn't have any of the caramel condensed milk. Can you just use regular condensed milk! I've googled how to caramelise it (put unopened tin in boiling water and let boil for 2 hours) Does that sound right! TIA.

b190, Jul 27, 12:02am
Ok thanks:) I feel nervous leaving anything boiling for 3 hours! lol The tin won't explode!

245sam, Jul 27, 12:06am
Be sure to keep the can COMPLETELY covered with water during the whole time that it is being boiled and to reiterate harrislucinda's advice.because the contents are dangerously hot, the can must be cooled before being opened.:-))

b190, Jul 27, 12:09am
Do I keep the heat up at high the whole 3 hours! Or turn it down to halfway once it's boiling! Sorry for the dumb question. I've never done anything like this and I REALLY want banoffee pie tonight:)

b190, Jul 27, 9:44am
All done and dusted, thank you guys! I oculdn't have done it (the caramellising thing anyway) without you:) It's delicious albeit super DUPER sweet! I have a sweet tooth but this banoffee pie is one sickly dessert!