When I was a kid, my Mum used to make a cake

Page 2 / 2
jbsouthland, Jul 27, 4:50am
As a child loved going to an Aunties ...she always had Seed Cake...though doubt she made it.

elsielaurie1, Jul 27, 9:55am
Thanks people.the reason as to why I wanted to know is that my sister is to celebrate her 70th birthday soon and seed cake was her favourite as a child, so much so, that a friend of ours said that they would bake her wedding cake as a seed cake.I'm going to bake one and send it to her.memories.:-}I have found a recipe through google, believed to be 100 years old.!

elliehen, Jul 27, 10:52am
Interesting that so many people remember it fondly.It was a staple of cake shops in my Grandma's day and usually much enjoyed by adults and scorned by children, who thought the seeds looked like mouse droppings.

bedazzledjewels, Jul 27, 9:46pm
Do you remember Fly Cemeteries too Ellie!

elliehen, Jul 27, 11:43pm
.and their cousins, Eccles Cakes, which have made a comeback :)

daleaway, Jul 28, 12:19am
The otherwise good bakery in Strathmore Wellington started making seed cake a few years back, but they did not get the hang of it at all. Put all the seeds on top, for gosh sake. And didn't rub them first, so they had hairy stalks that were most unpleasant in the mouth.
And didn't change their habits even when customers told them what to do! I don't think they make them any more.
I have several recipes for seed cake but they are all basically a madeira cake with caraway seeds stirred in before baking.
Caraway seeds are nice in coleslaw, too.

jbsouthland, Jul 28, 4:50am
As a child loved going to an Aunties .she always had Seed Cake.though doubt she made it.