Help! Icing question

tui_marley, Jul 25, 12:59am
Made a banana cake last night, went to ice it this morning using lemon icing, got the normal consistency but it just fell off the cake!! Figured the icing wasn't set enough so scooped up what had fallen off once it had cooled and thickened and put it back on top of the cake...went to check on it again and its fallen off again!! What am I doing wrong??

lx4000, Jul 25, 1:17am
how did you make the icing?

lx4000, Jul 25, 1:24am
rub butter (softened) into icing sugar.

For lemon icing, add lemon juice and beat with electric beat for approx 5 mins till light and fluffy. If too runny, add more icing sugar and beat for 5 mins.

tui_marley, Jul 25, 1:24am
Butter hot water icing sugar and lemon juice...think i might have put in too much lemon juice...

tui_marley, Jul 25, 1:25am
o i just use a fork til the lumps are gone lol

lx4000, Jul 25, 1:26am
i never add water when making lemon icing. I also never use hot water. The above recipe is for a loverly butter icing which does not have the sugar or butter flavour to it. And it is soft and fluffy, ideal for sides of cakes if not too thin.

tui_marley, Jul 25, 1:28am
ok thanks for that!

lx4000, Jul 25, 1:32am
your welcome:)

As above but choco or another flavour. Rub softened butter into icing sugar. Then add flavorings and a little (A little and slowly add more if needed) water and beat 5 mins or so.