Toffe apples recipe please

squirt321, Jul 25, 12:23am
I'm looking for a bright red toffee apple recipe please

jills3, Jul 25, 1:42am
My very very old NZ Truth book was handy so try this recipe.
Pick apples all one size,red ones if possible.Put a stick in each apple.Make a syrup with 2 cups sugar, half a cup water, 2 tablespoons vinegar.Boil until it cracks.Move mixture to side of stove, dip apples in and sprinkle with desiccated coconut.

theanimal1, Jul 25, 10:47am
Toffee Apples

Ingredients

3 cups Chelsea White Sugar or Chelsea Organic Sugar
1 Tbsp white vinegar
1 Tbsp butter
1/2 cup water
1/2 tsp cream of tartar
Few drops Red food colouring
8 apples
8 wooden ice-block sticks or wooden sticks
Method

Put the sugar, vinegar, butter and water into a saucepan. Heat gently, stirring constantly until sugar dissolves. Add cream of tartar and food colouring. Bring to the boil. Do not stir. Let mixture boil until the hard crack stage. (The hard crack stage usually happens at 146-154°C. This stage can be determined by dropping a spoonful of hot syrup into a bowl of very cold water.
If the stage has been reached, the syrup will form brittle threads in the water, and will crack if you try to mould it. Or use a candy thermometer.)

While mixture is boiling, wash and wipe the apples dry. Push an ice-block stick into each stem end. Remove pan from heat, tilt slightly then dip an apple into the toffee, turning to coat. Place on a sheet of baking paper or non-stick foil. Repeat with remaining apples. Leave until cold and set.

juliewn, Jul 25, 11:03am
For my Daughter's 21st party recently, I made toffee crab apples to serve as part of a finger-food dessert - they tasted and looked great - the perfect size too, and the tart apples and sweet toffee balanced the taste well...

I used a half and half mix of sugar and water, simmer, stirring occasionally, till the sugar has dissolved, stop stirring and keep simmering till the toffee is just changing to a pale gold.. take off the heat.

Have apples ready on skewers, and working quickly, dip them into the toffee, and place them on a baking paper lined plate.
Add red food colouring to the water if you want before simmering.

squirt321, Jul 26, 12:23am
I'm looking for a bright red toffee apple recipe please

duckmoon, Jul 26, 6:59am
using red food colouring will give the bright red colour...

I haven't made them, but worked on the sweet stall at our school gala - and they said if you are making them in bulk, you can only make single batches of toffee - because otherwise the toffee will have set before you have putting the toffee on the apple...

Also, make sure that you have toffee all over the apple (obviously), especially around the point where the stick goes in...

and finally tip - we make them on the morning they are sold... any earlier and the apples are a bit yucky (not inediable, but not as good as it could be)

juliewn, Jul 26, 11:03am
For my Daughter's 21st party recently, I made toffee crab apples to serve as part of a finger-food dessert - they tasted and looked great - the perfect size too, and the tart apples and sweet toffee balanced the taste well.

I used a half and half mix of sugar and water, simmer, stirring occasionally, till the sugar has dissolved, stop stirring and keep simmering till the toffee is just changing to a pale gold. take off the heat.

Have apples ready on skewers, and working quickly, dip them into the toffee, and place them on a baking paper lined plate.
Add red food colouring to the water if you want before simmering.

duckmoon, Jul 27, 6:59am
using red food colouring will give the bright red colour.

I haven't made them, but worked on the sweet stall at our school gala - and they said if you are making them in bulk, you can only make single batches of toffee - because otherwise the toffee will have set before you have putting the toffee on the apple.

Also, make sure that you have toffee all over the apple (obviously), especially around the point where the stick goes in.

and finally tip - we make them on the morning they are sold. any earlier and the apples are a bit yucky (not inediable, but not as good as it could be)