Sultana Tea Loaf

whiskey13, Jul 24, 8:37am
Thought i would share this recipe for anyone who is budget conscious

Sultana tea loaf

Soak 1 and a half cups sultanas in 1 and a half cups of strong tea (6 tea bags) for 1 hour or more
remove tea bags a squeeze out excess tea
Add 1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1 and a half cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 heaped tsp baking powder

mix well, mix should be sloppy.
Pour into a lined loaf tin and bake 180*C for 1 hour

This recipe was given to me by a dear friend at work who is on a VERY TIGHT budget. I've just started one a few minutes ago before jumping on here and I've used a mix of normal tea and herbal tea bags. yum yum :)

maycey, Jul 24, 10:51am
Made one too today. Have made the loaf a few times and love it! Love how it has not many ingredients but still yummy.

whiskey13, Jul 24, 11:27am
Just had a slice with a cuppa. I'd added a handful of chocolate chips yum yum :)

survivorr, Jul 25, 6:59am
Whiskey 13 ... not quite sure what's meant here when you say "remove tea bags a squeeze out excess tea"...do you add this to the mix?
This looks nice and easy and I want to try it....

whiskey13, Jul 25, 7:40am
Hi survivorr, what i do is pour 1 and a half cups of boiling water into a big bowl, add 6 tea bags and 1 and a half cups of sultanas. Then i leave for 1 hour( or more) then lift each teabag out and holding it over the ( sultana)bowl squeeze the teabag so the liquid falls back into the bowl. Do that with all 6 teabags, And carry on as above. Does that make sense? Is very yummy.

survivorr, Jul 25, 9:40am
Thx Whiskey13....that solves my thinking.Will make it this weekend.Sounds nice.

kinna54, Jul 25, 10:46am
yep this is a good cupboard stand by recipe, one that I make quite often: inexpensive and delicious.