Cold Tea Loaf .

2 C flour
4 t baking powder
1 C brown sugar
1 C boiled tea
1 C dried fruit
1 t ginger
1/2 t cinnamon (I'm not a huge fan)

Place fruit in with the cup of boiled tea, leave for a few hours or overnight.
Next day (or later on) mix all ingredients together and pour into a greased loaf tin and cook for approx 1 hr 10 mins @ 160 deg C.
This not only freezes well but is STILL moist up to 5 days later (and oh so cheap to make!)
darlingmole (162 ) 2:01 pm, Mon 14 Feb

claudeandstu, Jul 24, 7:34am
Never made one before but someone talked about using the new Kids Bell tea for one. Now I NEED to make one LOL
Does anyone have a good basic recipe .... without ginger
Thanks

aly5, Jul 24, 8:02am
Is that like the Earl Grey Loaf with currants?

pam.delilah, Jul 24, 8:08am
Fruited tealoaf
300gmixed dried fruit
150g brown or rawsugar
150gbutter
200ml cold strong tea
50mlfresh orange juice
275gself-raising flour
2tspmixed spice optional
1. Place the dried fruit, sugar, butter, tea and orange juice in a sauce pan and heat gently until the butter has melted and the sugar dissolved. Leave to cool for 30 mins.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C. Grease and line the base and sides of aloaf tin with greaseproof paper.
3. Sift the flour, mixed spice and a pinch of salt over the fruit mixture and mix thoroughly. Spoon into the lined tin.
4. Bake for 1hr 5 mins - 1 hr 10 mins until golden brown and a skewer inserted into the middle of the cake comes out clean. Leave to cool in the tin. Serve sliced and buttered.

whiskey13, Jul 24, 8:30am
Sultana tea loaf
Soak 1 and a half cups sultanas in 1 and a half cups of strong tea (6 tea bags) for 1 hour or more
remove tea bags a sqeeze out excess tea
Add 1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1 and a half cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 heaped tsp baking powder

mix well, mix should be sloppy.
Pour into a lined loaf tin and bake 180*C for 1 hour

This recipe was given to me by a dear friend at work who is on a VERY TIGHT budget. I've just started one a few minutes ago before jumping on here and I've used a mix of normal tea and herbal tea bags. yum yum :)

aly5, Jul 25, 8:02am
Is that like the Earl Grey Loaf with currants!

whiskey13, Jul 25, 8:30am
Sultana tea loaf
Soak 1 and a half cups sultanas in 1 and a half cups of strong tea (6 tea bags) for 1 hour or more
remove tea bags a sqeeze out excess tea
Add 1 egg
1/2 tsp salt
1 and a half cups flour
3/4 cup sugar
1 heaped tsp baking powder

mix well, mix should be sloppy.
Pour into a lined loaf tin and bake 180*C for 1 hour

This recipe was given to me by a dear friend at work who is on a VERY TIGHT budget. I've just started one a few minutes ago before jumping on here and I've used a mix of normal tea and herbal tea bags. yum yum :)

claudeandstu, Jul 24, 7:34am
Never made one before but someone talked about using the new Kids Bell tea for one. Now I NEED to make one LOL
Does anyone have a good basic recipe . without ginger
Thanks

samsnan, Oct 18, 9:33pm
Bev00 I have just made this loaf but there is no way that 1cup of tea will mix into 2cups of flour etc. I had to add at least another 1/2cup of tea into it to be able to mix it properly. I wonder whether it should only be 1 cup flour. darlingmole you would know. Its in the oven now so will see how it turns out.

sarahb5, Oct 18, 9:38pm
This is a fat free one I was given by a sports nutritionist at my sons' school:

400g - 1000g mixed dried fruit
1 cup of black tea
1 cup of orange juice
2 cups of self raising flour

Soak the fruit in the tea and juice for at least 2 hours or preferably overnight. Add flour. Bake for 2 hours at 150c until golden brown.

supercook, Oct 18, 9:40pm
This is fantastic recipe !

whiskey13, Oct 23, 10:01am
Thanks supercook.
It's a firm favourite of mine

jag5, Oct 24, 12:52am
Family favourite -
1 cup bran.1 cup sultanas or dried fruit.1 cup sugar.soak in 1 cup cold tea for about an hour.Add 1 cup SR flour and bake about 180 till done.easy as and delicious warm with butter.so good

wildflower, Oct 24, 3:19am
This is a Jan Bilton one.I used Tasti Fruit Medley in the mix which was great as it includes peaches, apples and pear which I diced and then they swelled in the hot tea and were lovely.Currants, sultana's, cranberries and cherries work well too.

2 c mixed dried fruit
1 cup strong, hot green tea with lemon
1 Tbsp golden syrup
1 large egg, lightly beaten
1/2 c sugar (I used 1/4 and plenty sweet enough)
1 1/2 c wholemeal flour
2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
Preheat the oven to 170C. Lightly oil a 21cmx10x6.5 loaf pan or line with baking paper.
Place the dried fruit in a bowl.Pour over the hot tea and add golden syrup.Stir and leave until cool.
Stir in the egg and sugar.Add the flour, BP and cinnamon. Mix until just moistened.Pour into the prepared loaf pan.Bake 50-60 min or until a skewer comes out clean.Cool.

It's really moist too.