Help with freezing pumpkin.

ubuthebirman, Jul 23, 10:52am
Last week spent an hour chopping 2 pumpkins, taking skin off & putting into freezer bag. When we had some roasted for tea tonight, , they were watery & tasted 'tinny'!ughhhh! has any one else had this problem?
They were the Crown pumpkins which are supposed to be the best!

elliehen, Jul 23, 11:04am
You're lucky in Dunedin - you have a chiller outside on the porch ;)
I always check my crown pumpkins for nicks and spots and then just keep them whole outdoors under cover in a cold place.They last all winter.

johne21, Jul 23, 6:47pm
I like supermarket pumpkins, they store really well & taste consistently good. Crown pumpkins are hit & miss for flavor but do keep well. Look for pumpkins that are in good condition for storing with a well dried off stem. Store away in shed, I get a good 6-12 months out of mine.

rainrain1, Jul 23, 9:35pm
Maybe it was because they'd been frozen?I have never had a problem with that variety, but we store them whole as opposed to freezing

ubuthebirman, Jul 24, 5:49am
mmm. interesting comments, I froze the pieces (could have put them outsideits snowing hard here!) after reading the comments & hints in the 'budget advice' post. I did have them stored in the garage for a month , bought themfrom N.World with the stalks on. maybe I can only use them for soup now.

gojojo2, Jul 24, 8:47am
But how do you store half a pumpkin? If I have to cut into one, how do I save the rest?

margyr, Jul 24, 6:12pm
I find it keeps really well in the fridge, I cut to size (serving) and take seeds out but leave skin on, then put it in a supermarket bag in the vege bit of the fridge, lasts ages and if any bits go abit soft I just cut that off before cooking.

plo3, Jul 25, 8:05am
I can freeze pumpkin quite successfully by cutting into serve size pieces, put on oven tray and spray lightly with oil then bake in slow oven (150C) for about 20 mins.Just a method of blanching I guess.Always best with nice tasting pumpkins and this season we have the sweetest pumpkins we have ever grown!