Need a tried and true pie or tart recipe for lunch

jackthecat1, Jul 22, 9:32am
Hi
Cooking for the first time for the inlaws and want to give them a simple but tasty lunch.I thought a nice pie/quiche or something with a side salad
May make a soup for starters but wondered if anyone had a fantastic recipe I do an ok bacon and egg but wanted something a step up
many thanks

jackthecat1, Jul 22, 10:48am
please please please

245sam, Jul 22, 11:03am
jackthecat1, have you tried doing a search here on this Trademe MB using pie or quiche as the Keyword and Last year as the Date posted option?
A recipe that I do recall being amongst all those earlier threads is cookessential's Salmon Quiche, complete with her recipe for an easily made pastry.
If that appeals to you it should impress your In-Laws and be a tasty follow-up to your soup - IMO a lovely weekend lunch.

Hope that helps.:-))

zambesi2, Jul 22, 9:52pm
If all else fails----I buy the ones from Pacn'save.They are just like a home baked one.Made on site and good value.They wouldn't know the diffeence, trust me on this one.$17.95 but they ae HUGE!

cookessentials, Jul 22, 10:00pm
My salmon quiche is beautiful.

cookessentials, Jul 22, 10:03pm
Copy and pasted from a previous thread

PASTRY: 1 cup plain flour;pinch salt;90g butter;1 egg yolk;1 tbsp lemon juice. FILLING: 250g can red salmon (you can use pink)4 rashers bacon;1 1/2 cups cream;3 eggs;salt & pepper;1/2 tsp paprika;2 tbs chopped parsley;1 tbsp grated parmesan cheese ( I just use the galaxy stuff in the shaker). PASTRY: Sift flour and salt into bowl,rub in butter,till it resembles fine breadcrumbs. Mix to a firm dough with beaten egg yolk and lemon juice;add 1-2 tsp of cold water if necessary. Roll out pastry on lightly floured surface to a circle big enough to fit base and sides of a 23cm metal flan tin. Lift pastry gently over a rolling pin,lift into flan tin. ease pastry into sides of tin and press into grooves of tin with fingers. Handle gently so pastry does not break (if it does, you can easily press bits of pastry on - it works fine) Roll the rolling pin over the top of tin to cut off excess pastry. Refrigerate shell one hour. Meanwhile chop bacon and fry in non-stick pan till crispy. Remove from pan and drain on absorbent paper.Put flan tin on an oven tray. Drain salmon,reserve the liquid. Flake the salmon,removing bones etc. Arrange the salmon and bacon on the base of the flan. Beat together cream,eggs,salt,pepper,cheese,-
-
-
paprika,parley and reserved salmon liquid. Carefully pour this mixture over the back of a spoon into flan tin to cover salmon and bacon. Bake in mod hot oven (190) for 10 mins,then reduce heat to mod slow (160) and cook a further 30-35 mins or until filling has set. Its lovely warm or cold. I just serve a salad and some crusty bread on the side.

cookessentials (1176 )9:54 pm, Sat 24 Jul #6