Idiot Proof Recipes

rachbabe, Jul 22, 3:28am
I like the sound of easy - idiot proof recipes.... so if you have any that you absolutely love, please share them :)

subo, Jul 22, 10:38pm
I think I am to blame here with the start of my idiot proof scone recipe so here is better explanation than my first.
Yes we need lots of simple ideas.

Idiot Proof Scones

Melt 50gms butter in a microwave jug.

Let cool a little and break 1 egg into it and top up with milk to = approx 1 & 3/4 cups liquid.
Mix well with a fork.

Add, by mixing with a knife to 3 cups self-raising flour.

Bake 230degrees Celsius for approx 10 mins.

Tips…

This makes a wet mix and you don’t knead it at all.
Flop and spread onto non-stick paper on a tray.
Wet a knife and cut into 9 large or 12 smaller but don’t separate completely.

Break the batch of cooked scones apart once cooked, as you do with buns.

For a change you can add a bit of sugar and fruit or cheese or whatever you feel like.

burney2, Jul 23, 12:12am
I have a couple of chicken ones, so basic you cant go wrong!

Pineapple Chicken (I double this)
4 chicken pieces
1 tsp soya sauce
1 x 440g can pineapple pices
1 pkt creme chicken soup

Place chicken in casserole dish. Mix together pineapple juice, soup mix and soya sauce. Pour over chicken. Bake 180 for 1 hour. Add pineapple pieces just before chicken is cooked.

Use the same method as above for Apricot chicken using:

8 chicken drumsticks/pieces
2 pkt onion soup
2 x 440g can apricots

elliehen, Jul 23, 1:09am
IDIOT-PROOF SPONGE

Assemble all ingredients & have eggs at room temperature
Line sponge roll pan with baking paper

Sift 1/2 cup cornflour
2 teaspoons ordinary flour
1 teaspoon baking powder

Separate 3 eggs
Beat whites till soft peaks form
Slowly add 1/2 cup caster sugar, beating all the time
Add yolks and beat till rich mix

Add all sifted dry ingredients and stir to combine
Pour mix into pan and drop sharply onto bench from about 6 cms (releases extra air bubbles)

Bake 180*C for 15 minutes

Drop again on bench after removing from oven

Rest it for 5-10 minutes before removing from pan
Cut in half, fill with fruit (or jam) and whipped cream and place other half on top

herself, Jul 24, 1:00am
elliehen that sponge recipe looks really good.Going to have to try that this afternoon.

elliehen, Jul 24, 4:28am
I really do endorse it, after being a sponge-idiot for years.I now whip one up at a moment's notice, and took one out to dinner for dessert a week ago - rolled, with passionfruit and whipped cream.

If you want to roll it, tip it on to a new piece of baking paper while it's still warm (after 4-5 mins) peel the underside paper off, roll it up with the new paper and when it's cool, gently partially unroll it, remove paper and put the filling in, topping it with sifted icing sugar.It always looks a million dollars, and is not overly sweet for people who prefer something lighter.

A tip I learnt here was to trim a one-centimetre wide strip off one of the long edges to help roll it up; it gives more flexibility, helping to make a neater roll by having just the one long firm edge.