A good way to successfully cook roast beef??

redeyedkiwi, Jul 22, 3:16am
hi i am going to cook a 1.8kg roast beef. i have not cooked one before, i usually cook lamb/pork/chicken. what is the best way to cook it? i want it to be tender. is it like lamb where you can slow cook it for 2-3 hours? what is a good seasoning? times/temps please. is wrapping it in foil, like i do with lamb a good idea?

thanks in advance.

dec1066, Jul 22, 3:36am
What cut of beef is it? And how do you like it cooked, ie. rare, medium, or well done?

cookessentials, Jul 22, 4:05am
I steer away from topside now and only cook fillet of beef and although more expensive, it is the nicest one to have roasted.

redeyedkiwi, Jul 22, 4:34am
i never put any real thought into when i got it, didn't realise it was a shit cut.

i like medium-well done, but just want it to not be tough. thanks

redeyedkiwi, Jul 22, 4:35am
it turned out to be a crappy bolar cut. tough apparently.

dec1066, Jul 22, 4:38am
Long and slow in lots of liquid (stock, water, wine) covered with tin foil. Or throw it in the crockpot if you have one.

Good luck

karenz, Jul 22, 5:05am
Or brown it on the ouside and very slow roast draped in strips of bacon and drizzled with oil,keep basting it.

karenz, Jul 22, 5:06am
The toughest meats are the most flavoursome they just take a lot longer to cook. at a lower temperature/

yjeva, Jul 22, 5:07am
I do bolar roasts in the crockpot much more successfully than in the oven.

1mlost, Jul 22, 5:30am
yes they turn out beautiful

lythande1, Jul 22, 5:33am
Why is it crap? They make great pot roasts, mmmm. give me the 'tough" parts any day, more flavour than fillet.

micky_1, Jul 22, 5:39am
X3 always come out tender and cooked to perfection

rainrain1, Jul 22, 6:09am
All these fancy names they give meat, it's a piece of blade or chuck which needs slow cooking.Here is a site that might be of use to you.

http://www.foodsubs.com/MeatBeefChuck.html

redeyedkiwi, Jul 22, 6:15am
so i am in for a tough roast then .?

davidt4, Jul 22, 6:18am
Not if you take notice of all the good advice you have been given.Pot-roast it or braise in a slow cooker.

rainrain1, Jul 22, 6:24am
Enjoying your posts, you are making me smile, which is rare on here sometimes....I hope you have the bestest bolar meal ever, with your piece of sh*t meat lol

redeyedkiwi, Jul 22, 6:41am
lol i decided to give it to the farmdogs. not. at $28 i will eat every last little piece.

rainrain1, Jul 22, 6:48am
Bu88er the dogs,they get the bones,

dec1066, Jul 22, 9:31am
Much too good for the dogs, just cook long and slow in plenty of liquid at about 150c

sharleen13, Aug 2, 2:01am
never cooked one in a slow cooker before but i have a really nice looking top side roast that i want to do in a slow cooker as i am on nite shift so i can just put it on when i get home in the morning how do i do it any one got a recipie or something