Alison Holst's corn chowder (microwave)

poohbearfan3, Jul 20, 2:35am
Does anyone please have the Alison Holst recipe for corn chowder, done in the microwave?I can't find my recipe anywhere and want to make it for a dinner on Saturday.It's an old recipe!
Thanks!!

245sam, Jul 20, 5:28am
x1
Here you are poohbearfan3.....

Alison Holst’s MICROWAVE CORN CHOWDER
For 4 servings:
2 tbsp butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 medium carrot, grated
1 tbsp flour
1 x 450g can creamed corn
2 cups boiling water
chopped parsley,fresh herbs,salt and pepper,sugar

In a large bowl or casserole dish, put the butter, onion, celery and carrot.Cover and cook onHIGH (100% power) for8 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes.Stir in the flour, then add the creamed corn and boiling water.Cook, uncovered for 8-10 minutes longer, until bubbling, then taste and season as you like, adding fresh herbs, salt, pepper and a little sugar, if desired.

I haven’t used this particular recipe for a while but I see that I added a note to, next time, add 1 tsp bacon stock powder and more pepper.:-))

gilligee, Jul 20, 5:35am
x1
That looks easier to make in a pot! And quicker too.

poohbearfan3, Jul 20, 5:38am
Thank you so very much 245sam, you're a gem!!!I've been looking for this recipe for ages, and then it occurred to me to ask here:)

Thanks again!

poohbearfan3, Jul 20, 5:40am
It's so yummy and so easy, I think everyone should try it!!

Never tried it in a pot, always done it in the microwave.

245sam, Jul 20, 6:07am
You're welcome poohbearfan3.As I indicated in #2 above I have used that recipe but the following one is the one that I usually use, mainly I guess because it was in an earlier book of Alison's so had become a fav before I saw the recipe at #2 - we like it with the potato and for speed, I make the sauce in the microwave while the vegetables cook on the stove.

Alison Holst's CORN CHOWDER
1 carrot
1 potato
1 onion or leek
1 cup water
2 tsp instant bacon stock
50g butter
3 tbsp flour
1 x 450g can whole kernel corn
1 cup milk

Scrub then cube the carrot and potato.Cook the potato and carrot with the chopped onion or sliced leek in the water for 10 minutes or until the potato is tender.Stir in the bacon stock.
In another pot melt the butter, add the flour and make a sauce using the corn liquid made up to 2 cups with milk.
Stir the sauce into the cooked vegetables.Mash or puree if desired, then add the corn.
Serve with toast or crisp bread rolls as a complete meal.Top with grated cheese if desired.
Serves 3-4.:-))

poohbearfan3, Jul 21, 2:35am
Does anyone please have the Alison Holst recipe for corn chowder, done in the microwave!I can't find my recipe anywhere and want to make it for a dinner on Saturday.It's an old recipe!
Thanks!

245sam, Jul 21, 5:28am
Here you are poohbearfan3.

Alison Holst’s MICROWAVE CORN CHOWDER
For 4 servings:
2 tbsp butter
1 large onion, chopped
2 stalks celery, sliced
1 medium carrot, grated
1 tbsp flour
1 x 450g can creamed corn
2 cups boiling water
chopped parsley,fresh herbs,salt and pepper,sugar

In a large bowl or casserole dish, put the butter, onion, celery and carrot.Cover and cook onHIGH (100% power) for8 minutes, stirring after 2 minutes.Stir in the flour, then add the creamed corn and boiling water.Cook, uncovered for 8-10 minutes longer, until bubbling, then taste and season as you like, adding fresh herbs, salt, pepper and a little sugar, if desired.

I haven’t used this particular recipe for a while but I see that I added a note to, next time, add 1 tsp bacon stock powder and more pepper.:-))

poohbearfan3, Jul 21, 5:38am
Thank you so very much 245sam, you're a gem!I've been looking for this recipe for ages, and then it occurred to me to ask here:)

Thanks again!

poohbearfan3, Jul 21, 5:40am
It's so yummy and so easy, I think everyone should try it!

Never tried it in a pot, always done it in the microwave.

245sam, Jul 21, 6:07am
You're welcome poohbearfan3.As I indicated in #2 above I have used that recipe but the following one is the one that I usually use, mainly I guess because it was in an earlier book of Alison's so had become a fav before I saw the recipe at #2 - we like it with the potato and for speed, I make the sauce in the microwave while the vegetables cook on the stove.

Alison Holst's CORN CHOWDER
1 carrot
1 potato
1 onion or leek
1 cup water
2 tsp instant bacon stock
50g butter
3 tbsp flour
1 x 450g can whole kernel corn
1 cup milk

Scrub then cube the carrot and potato.Cook the potato and carrot with the chopped onion or sliced leek in the water for 10 minutes or until the potato is tender.Stir in the bacon stock.
In another pot melt the butter, add the flour and make a sauce using the corn liquid made up to 2 cups with milk.
Stir the sauce into the cooked vegetables.Mash or puree if desired, then add the corn.
Serve with toast or crisp bread rolls as a complete meal.Top with grated cheese if desired.
Serves 3-4.:-))

poohbearfan3, Jul 26, 8:37pm
Thanks for that, I just saw this now.I might try this one on the weekend too I think.I'm a vege, so I'd probably substitute the backson stock for vege stock.
Thanks!:o)

poohbearfan3, Jul 27, 8:37pm
Thanks for that, I just saw this now.I might try this one on the weekend too I think.I'm a vege, so I'd probably substitute the backson stock for vege stock.
Thanks!:o)

lizzy_clark, May 4, 5:05am
I have used his recipe for years and it is still a hit,I had some green herb stock powder and bacon.
love it