Can you still buy "Ideal" milk or

jmin, Jul 19, 9:12am
What can I substitute it with? Recipe calls for 1 can Ideal milk.

winnie231, Jul 19, 9:26am
Just buy Nestle Carnation Evaporated Milk - it's the same thing.

jmin, Jul 19, 9:37am
It's an old recipe from my Grandmother. Would the tin size be the same as I seem to remember the tins being the size of sweetened condensed milk but may be wrong about that.

winnie231, Jul 19, 9:57am
Not sure about the tin size sorry ... hopefully someone a bit older than me might be able to help.

jmin, Jul 19, 10:16am
She made this recipe about 30 years ago.

cgvl, Jul 19, 10:42am
I think you can substitute with the carnation one. I just looked at Nestle's website and the Ideal brand is sold in the likes of South Africa and is an evaporated milk, whereas the brand sold here is Carnation ..... both produced by Nestle.

kuaka, Jul 19, 11:34am
I might be wrong, but I seem to recall Ideal milk being sold in cans more the size of baked beans or soup - 400g.

juliewn, Jul 19, 1:53pm
Yes.. I remember that size too Kuaka..

... and..did your mother chill the tin overnight (or at least several hours) and make a packet jelly with only 1 cup water.. leave that till beginning to set, then whip the milk till very thick - and a much larger amount, add the jelly and keep whipping till thick.. pile into a large bowl and chill for a big bowl of dessert - it was called jelly fluff - though I've seen it called other things in threads here previously..

kuaka, Jul 19, 8:23pm
Yes she did, and another jelly stretcher was "fluffy" jelly, where you boil it up with some semolina and then beat it to death when it's almost set and you end up with jelly at the bottom and fluffy jelly on top.

winnie231, Jul 19, 8:43pm
Jelly fluff - now there's a happy memory!
And the loud whir from Mum's Kedwood (which is still going 40 odd yrs later)on full speed as it whipped up this treat :)

jmin, Jul 19, 11:23pm
Thanks for all that...I'm wanting to make "Iccy spoobe" ...well that's what we called it when we were kids....also known as chocolate mouse...made just like Granny did!

jmin, Jul 20, 2:25am
mousse not mouse...whoops!