Rice pud in rice cooker?

gregg74, Jul 19, 12:37am
I made my first ever rice pudding in the oven last night and it was delicious but wondered if it would work/faster cooking time in a rice cooker - and recipe please?

gregg74, Jul 19, 8:18pm
Surely someone must have a recipe!

norse_westie, Jul 19, 9:37pm
I do mine in the slow cooker - exactly the same. I dont really use a recipe though. Just mix up some eggs, milk and cinnamon, a dash of sugar. Sometimes I use coconut cream if I have it. Cook on low for 6 hours.

So the answer is: probably not quicker. The whole idea of slow cookers is SLOW cooking, which for me is convenient - I get it ready in the morning so food is hot and ready in the evening. I HATE that busy time with kids, homework, afterschool activities, baths etc. If dinner is taken care of, my life is so much easier.

davidt4, Jul 19, 10:37pm
I think the original question was about using a rice cooker, not a slow cooker.

My Breville rice cooker came with a warning not to use it for rice pudding with milk as the milk would catch on the bottom.I ignored this and made very good creamed rice using milk and cream, sometimes using coconut cream.You do have to stir it frequently though once it starts to simmer, so it's not as convenient as baking the rice pudding in the oven.

norse_westie, Jul 19, 11:15pm
Oops. Sorry, so it was. They seem to work much the same though. I would do exactly the same as for the slow cooker.

gregg74, Jul 20, 1:16am
Thanks norse - I know I found lots of recipes online for a slow cooker but none for an actual rice cooker.Thanks davidt4 - I rummaged through my recipe books & found the rice cooker one & found a couple of 'puddings' & none used actual milk now I know why thanks to your post.I'll have a go with your recipe - what amounts of each do you use & how long does it usually take to cook?Cheers

davidt4, Jul 20, 1:25am
The quantities aren't critical.Try 700 ml whole milk, 200 ml cream, 2 tab short grained rice, 2 tab sugar.Set the rice cooker on high and leavethe mixture to come to a simmer, stirring occasionally.Once it starts to simmer you will need to stir it regularly.Give it at least 30 minutes simmering; longer is better.When it is cooked I stir in a further 100 ml of cream.

If you want to try it with coconut milk use 1 litre of additive-free coconut milk (Aroy-D is the brand I like) in place of the milk and cream.