Wine going back in the bottle..ok?

cantab1971, Jul 17, 4:41am
ok, my missus reckons its fine to pour the glass of red wine, left out since last night, back into the bottle in the morning. I shreik in horror, but to be honest, bottle tastes alright the next night. question for people in the know (and who care enough to answer)....is wine left in an open glass overnight spoiled? and will it spoil the rest of the bottle if poured back in? how quick? thanks :)

davidt4, Jul 17, 4:44am
The wine left in the open glass will have oxidised and will be spoilt.It might also have some fruit flies in it.Throw it away.

nfh1, Jul 17, 4:53am
Yuck!I suppose if your wife thinks it is fine, let her have the glass from last night and pour yourself a fresh glass from the bottle.Just the thought of it would put me off - life is too short to drink bad wine!

cantab1971, Jul 17, 4:57am
right, thanks. i thought the same (wife doesnt drink - hence her dis-interest in the quality of my wine i guess)

nfh1, Jul 17, 4:59am
Ah - I understand now!LOL - remember to clear all glasses every night and tip any content away!

karenz, Jul 17, 5:04am
You can pour the left over wine into ice cube trays or a small pottle and freeze and use to cook with. Don't pour it back in the bottle.

kirinesha, Jul 17, 5:24am
I ice cube all our left overs too, very handy for cooking later on when a recipe calls for a small amount.

nfh1, Jul 17, 5:32am
We do not have left over wine in this house!I do however, have an unused wine stopper.Cheers.

garfeild101, Jul 18, 3:19am
YESsame here wine stopper -and hardly ever do i have left overs when i open a bottle but thats the best way 2 go =) Last time i left a glass of red out i went to take a sip (was hungover) and massive cockroach was in it....drowned of alcohol poisoning but what im trying to say is imagine what else during the night went in that glass of wine....eeewwwwhhh!!

suie1, Jul 18, 3:27am
Wow people have left over wine????

beaker59, Jul 18, 4:01am
Finish every glass you pour problem solved.:)

I do have a bottle in the cupbourd I use for cooking which is topped up from the dregs of other bottles.

..pip.., Jul 18, 4:06am
It must be bloody expensive wine if she feels the need to recycle it!Tell her to stop being so tight.

kuaka, Jul 18, 8:17am
Left over wine - now there's a novel idea!I wonder if it will catch on.

elliehen, Jul 18, 9:42am
One word...'submarines'