Best/easist cake to make for shared morning tea...

Page 1 / 2
gojojo2, Jul 16, 10:42am
In a new job that I need to supply a cake for my birthday. Date is rapidly approaching and would like some ideas for a great cake (cup cakes/truffles) that is/are easy to prepare in advance to serve around 30 pp. What is something a tad different? Don't want to go to a bakery....

lx4000, Jul 16, 10:24pm
BREAKFAST MUFFINS

Ingredients
1 1/4 cups (275g) caster sugar
2 cups (300g) plain flour
2 tsp ground cinnamon
2 tsp baking powder
1 cup sultanas
1 cup desiccated coconut

2 cups grated carrot
1 cup grated apple

1 cup chopped walnuts

3 eggs

1 cup (250ml) vegetable oil
1 tsp vanilla extract

Icing sugar, to dust

Method
1. Preheat oven to 180degC.

2. Sift sugar, flour, cinnamon and powder into a large bowl.

Add sultanas, carrot, apple, coconut and walnuts.

In a separate bowl, beat together the eggs, oil and vanilla.

3. Add to the dry ingredients and fold until just combined - do not over mix.

4. Spoon into muffin pans and bake for

25 minutes or until golden brown.

Serve dusted with icing sugar.

Double it andmake another type of muffin to take:)

lx4000, Jul 16, 10:25pm
Ginger Loaf
50g Butter
3 Tspn Golden Syrup
1/2 C Sugar
1/2 C Boiling Water
1 Egg
2 tspn Ginger
1/4 tspn BS
1/2 tspn BP
1 C Flour
Place butter, sugar, golden syrup and boiling water in a bowl and stir until melted.
Add egg and whisk briskly (I let it cool down a bit first!)
Add dry and mix.
Place in loaf tin.
30 mins approx at 180
If you love ginger, add some chopped crystallized ginger.
Great with chopped apple and or sultanas or current also.

Best made 2 days ahead of time so it has time to flavour up:)

lx4000, Jul 16, 10:29pm
IMPOSSIBLE SCONES

Melt 50g butter in a jug.

Whisk in 1 egg.

Add 2 cups of milk.

Add to 4 to 5+ cups of self-raising flour and mix with a knife. This should be a wettish mix.

Oven at 230oC for about 10 mins. Hope you enjoy them! Yummo!

Date or sultana scones. Soak dried fruit in milk for an hour or so before making.

You can add cheese, onion etc for savoury scones. Plain flour can be used, just add 2 teaspoons of Baking Powder Per Cup of flour used.

pam.delilah, Jul 16, 10:41pm
Dana's Chocolate Cake
Destitute Gourmet.

1 2/3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons Baking soda
1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups trim milk
100g butter melted
2 eggs
1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
(nb. I like to add a teaspoon of coffee as well sometimes! Completely optional)

Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius. Grease cake tin. (you may wish to use greaseproof paper too, mixture is quite wet.)

Put all ingredients into a mixing bowl and combine well.

Bake for at least 50 minutes or until the top springs back or no batter comes away with a skewer.

Ice with Chocolate icing.

pam.delilah, Jul 16, 10:44pm
Vanilla Cupcakes
makes 30

415g plain flour
3 teaspoons baking powder
230g unsalted butter, softened
330g sugar
15ml vanilla essence
4 eggs
250ml milk

- Preheat oven to 170degC.
- Line two-and-a-half 12-hole muffin trays with cupcake papers.
- Whisk flour, baking powder, and salt together in a small bowl to aerate and combine. Set aside until required.
- In a large bowl use an electric mixer on medium-high speed to beat butter for about 2 minutes until creamy.
- Add sugar gradually, beating until light and fluffy, scraping down the bowl once or twice. This will take about 3 minutes.
- Beat in vanilla essence. Add eggs one at a time, scraping down the sides of the bowl and beating after each addition.
- Add the flour mixture in 4 additions, alternately with the milk. Begin and end with the flour mixture, and beat briefly until smooth on low speed after each addition.
- Divide batter evenly between the cupcake papers.
- Bake for about 18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the centres shows a few moist crumbs. (The centres should also spring back when lightly pressed.) The cupcakes might colour a bit around the edges, but they will not brown.
- Cool cupcakes in the muffin trays for 5 minutes before removing the cupcakes to a wire rack to cool completely.

Vanilla Frosting
200g unsalted butter, softened
1/2 cup milk
1 tablespoon vanilla essence
8 cups icing sugar, sifted

- Cream the butter for 1-2 minutes.
- Add the milk, vanilla and half the icing sugar.
- Beat for at least 3 minutes, or until the mixture is light and fluffy.
- Add the remaining icing sugar and beat for a further 3 minutes, or until the mixture is light and fluffy and of a spreadable consistency.
- If the mixture is too dry add extra milk and if the mixture is too wet add extra icing sugar.
- If you wish to colour and/or flavour the buttercream then this is the time to do it. Add a drop at a time until you reach the desired colour and/or flavour.

kinna54, Jul 17, 9:34am
Yesterday Imade evorotoruas chocolate yoghurt banana cake for my grandsons christening cake. We served it at his christening morning tea this morning and it was fantastic. Iced it with a ganache, it was delectable, and easily fed a crowd, it makes a big cake. I cooked it in a large springform pan as I wanted a deep cake, but know others who have made it in a roasting dish. Hit search and it should come up easily, it has been tried and true by so many of us posters. Beautiful and moist, never fail and easy!!

gojojo2, Jul 17, 10:42am
In a new job that I need to supply a cake for my birthday. Date is rapidly approaching and would like some ideas for a great cake (cup cakes/truffles) that is/are easy to prepare in advance to serve around 30 pp. What is something a tad different! Don't want to go to a bakery.

blt10, Jul 17, 11:01am
Ok Kinna54 that will be the next pot luck cake so,will you share the recipe?

suzanna, Jul 17, 11:07am
The bonus with this cake is that I think it actually gets better after a few days.

lx4000, Jul 17, 10:24pm
Basic Muffin Mix
Bowl 1
4 tsp BP
2 C flour
3/4 C Sugar
Bowl 2
1/2 C Oil
1 C Milk
1 egg
Add bowl 1 to bowl 2.
Just mix.
200 for approx 15 mins
Add cocoa, friut etc as you wish:)

pam.delilah, Jul 17, 10:41pm
Dana's Chocolate Cake
Destitute Gourmet.

1 2/3 cups flour
1 1/2 teaspoons Baking soda
1 1/2 cups sugar
2/3 cup cocoa powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups trim milk
100g butter melted
2 eggs
1 teaspoon Vanilla essence
(nb. I like to add a teaspoon of coffee as well sometimes! Completely optional)

Preheat oven to 180 degrees celcius. Grease cake tin. (you may wish to use greaseproof paper too, mixture is quite wet.)

Put all ingredients into a mixing bowl and combine well.

Bake for at least 50 minutes or until the top springs back or no batter comes away with a skewer.

Ice with Chocolate icing.

kinna54, Jul 18, 8:15am
Evorotoruas Chocolate YoghurtBanana Cake :
2 cups sugar, 200g butter or marg, 3 cups self raising flour, 2 eggs, 2 tsp baking soda, 1 cup boiling water, 1 cup plain yoghurt, 1 ½ tsp vanilla essence, 2 mashed bananas, ½ cup cocoa, ¼ tsp salt. Just place allingredients in a bowl, and mix together. Turn mixture in to medium roasting dish and bake at 180C for an hour. That’s it. Note:: I pour the boiling water over the butter/marg to melt it. You don’t have to use plain yoghurt. I have used fruit flavoured and it is lovely. I have also left out the cocoa altogether and not replaced it with anything. Bananas can be replaced with other soft fruit. So there you go. Very versatile. It will work fine in two smaller sponge cake tins or even as muffins. cook at 180 deg
NB kinna note: I made it in a large deep springform pan, cooked it 70-75mins.

gojojo2, Jul 18, 9:22am
Thank you all! I'm going to have fun trying these recipes out xx

kinna54, Jul 18, 9:34am
Yesterday Imade evorotoruas chocolate yoghurt banana cake for my grandsons christening cake. We served it at his christening morning tea this morning and it was fantastic. Iced it with a ganache, it was delectable, and easily fed a crowd, it makes a big cake. I cooked it in a large springform pan as I wanted a deep cake, but know others who have made it in a roasting dish. Hit search and it should come up easily, it has been tried and true by so many of us posters. Beautiful and moist, never fail and easy!

blt10, Jul 18, 11:01am
Ok Kinna54 that will be the next pot luck cake so,will you share the recipe!

gregg74, Jul 19, 1:05am
Easiest truffle recipe ever

Packet of choc biscuits (e.g. toffee pops or Tim tams (any flavour you prefer) and 2 Tbsp cream cheese is the basic recipe - process together in food processor to get a good consistency & roll into balls, and roll in coconut or cocoa or grated chocolate or chopped nuts.You can add whatever to them & just up the cream cheese amount - sometimes I use a packet of plain biscuits to make them go further, chopped nuts or chopped dried fruit, raisins or apricots are good.

gojojo2, Jul 19, 9:22am
Thank you all! I'm going to have fun trying these recipes out xx

evorotorua, Jul 25, 7:42am
Fun to see my recipe come up again. I have made this recipe so many times. You can make several smaller cakes if you like and even muffins are fine. Hope you all enjoy it. Erica

kinna54, Jul 25, 11:01am
evorotorua I have been proud to pass that recipe around to so many people on your behalf. I am making it again this weekend for a birthday cake, by special request. You are a treasure for being the original poster. Thankyou**

evorotorua, Jul 25, 5:57pm
Awwww, shucks Kinna. You're welcome!

vashti, Jul 26, 1:06am
These sound delicious, and I might try the choc bannana cake too.
Thanks to you wonderful people.

leogal1, Jul 26, 1:58am
I've tried the Dana's Choc Cake recipe and it is delish!!Lovely moist choccie cake..

evorotorua, Jul 26, 5:57pm
Awwww, shucks Kinna. You're welcome!

griffo4, Jul 26, 9:51pm
evorotoruas banana cake is so good and l used sour cream last time as l didn't have yoghurt and it was really nice it is the only banana cake l make in the roasting dish, cut in half and freeze then have 2 cakes anytime l need them
l ice mine with lemon icing or choc icing