How do I tell if a pumpkin is ripe or not?

elsielaurie1, Jul 16, 8:59am
In the big bin at Countdown there's a selection of light grey, dark grey, light and dark grey......I have bought 2 lately and neither one 'burnt' when I oven roasted them...They both seemed 'wet' inside, as if they hadn't ripened off. Anyone out there who can help, I would be pleased to hear your suggestions as I'm about to buy another one and would love to get one that 'burns' at the edges when oven roasted...thank you in advance...:-}

rainrain1, Jul 16, 9:01am
greyskin pumpkin is the best of the lot...edited to say well that wasn't much help was it lolas opposed to the orange skin ones I mean...if you roast them in the oven and want the edges brown, stick them under the grill at the end of cooking

frogiez, Jul 16, 9:05am
I always use the green ones, think they are called Buttercup.They 'burn' at the edges.

pam.delilah, Jul 16, 9:06am
butternuts are the way to go

kiwibubbles, Jul 16, 9:37am
iksn't it supposed to sound hollow when you knock it? or am i confused with melon? LOL
i bought some crown pumpkin yesterday from countdown.. just had it roasted tonight and it "burnt" fine.

indy95, Jul 17, 12:45am
Elsielaurie1, when you are buying a pumpkin you need to give it a tap to make sure it has a hollow sound just as you do when baking bread. This is to ensure that the flesh has dried out and the pumpkin is ripe. It can mean that you get some rather strange looks in the supermarket but don't worry about that ! Also check that the stalk has withered as this is another indication.

beaker59, Jul 17, 1:01am
Pumkins are a lotery even if you grow them yourself some years are better than others this year is not the best we have had I have bought about 5 this year of which most have been OK though latest is pretty flavourless none have been spectacular. Unlike last year which was an awesome year.

Yeah I tap them and try different colours I think the ones that look a bit sun blanched are best if anything. If I do get a good one I will go straight back and buy 5 or so as they do store well. A good tip is to look at the cut pumkins if they are the same variety, they should be bright coloured flesh, if they look good then get the whole ones from the bin that look the same.

rainrain1, Jul 17, 1:18am
I have never never ever ever not not struck a pumpkin that hasn't been ripe :-)

davidt4, Jul 17, 2:50am
I've been buying the medium-sized pale grey pumpkins lately and they are excellent, with a fine texture and very dry flesh.Not the big heavily indented ones but the ones that are about 25cm diameter and fairly smooth.

rarogal, Jul 18, 9:15am
Yes tapping is the method Ive always known, and my dad always told me that the harder it is to cut, the riper it is!

radark, Jul 19, 8:41am
they should be relatively light for their size...means they will not be green/wet

nainmary, Jul 20, 8:32am
I asked the same ? to a Chinese grower some time ago.He said the best are grey ones have a paleorange shading on the skin.Last week I bought a super one almost orange all over. made good soup and roasted lovely and did brown.