Shop-a-holic/Cook Essentials/David

moreorless, Jul 15, 6:24am
Hi,
I have just bought a kitchenaid kpm50 and am very keen to make bread.
Do any of you have a bread recipe and what is the best yeast to buy.
I have heard of surebake, then their are yeast sachets.
I would like to do the quickest one possible.
Would love any recipes anyone has if you dont mind posting them here.
Thanks in advance

moreorless, Jul 15, 6:25am
Cook Essentials

When will the Kitchenaid stick blender be in the shops in New Zealand, I thought you would be a good person to ask. Are the colour options just white and red.
Thanks if you can help :-)

davidt4, Jul 15, 6:41am
I'm probably not the best person to ask, as I don't make bread any more.But here's a very basic recipe to get you started:

Plain HouseholdBread

• 1kg strong flour
• 625m tepid water
• 30g fresh yeast or 21g dried yeast
• 1 tsp sugar
• 1 level tablespoon fine sea salt

semolina for dusting.
Makes 2 loaves.
Mix water, yeast and sugar, leave 10 min to start working.Mix flour, salt , add liquid and mix to a soft dough, add more water if neccessary.Knead by hand or with a dough hook in a food mixer until very elastic - about 10 minutes.Return to bowl, cover and leave to rise at room temperature for 3 - 4 hours or until doubled in bulk OR in the fridge overnight.Punch down, cut in two and shape each into a loaf by folding edges into centre over and over until it forms a bouncy evenly shaped loaf.Dust with semolina and either place in loaf tins or on an oven tray.Leave to rise about 45 min at room temperature, bake at 200C for about 45 minutes or until dark golden brown.Cool COMPLETELY before cutting.

There is no need to buy Surebake - plain active yeast is much better.

Speed is the enemy of good bread.The slower the dough rises the better the flavour and texture will be.You can leave the dough to rise at room temperature overnight.

shop-a-holic, Jul 15, 6:50am
I have used all the yeasts available. Fresh; Surebake (it has a bread improver) and the sachets (dried active yeast).
Fresh yeast is tempermental; Surebake with the additives, means that the yeast granules are in a poorer shape and have to work harder to "wake up". Sachets are faultless.
Using your doughhook: To the stainless steel bowl; add two cups of High Grade Flour; 1 teaspoon Salt; 1 sachet (7gms) of yeast, 2 teaspoons Caster Sugar; Optional (a slurp or 25mls of Olive oli). Start the KitchenAid slow (on 2 or 4) so that flour doesn't go flying. Mix adding very lukewarm water until a dough ball forms and is not sticking to the sides of the bowl. I then increase the speed and knead for 10 minutes.
Spray an ovenproof bowl lightly with RiceBran oil (or use a handy towel) to lightly coat. Place dough ball in. You can tell when the dough is ready, because it will spring back when you dent it with your finger, and it will feel smooth as marble or a baby's bottom. Proof in an oven at 80F or very warm place to rise.
This is addictive!!
Next posting: Dinner rolls the way Mr Ramsay taught me.

shop-a-holic, Jul 15, 6:54am
I'll add a pics too, but will be in the morning, as I'm not on my PC.

moreorless, Jul 15, 7:05am
Shop-a-holic,

Thanks so much for the speedy response, your exact instructions are just what I needed so silly but I feel like I am going to muck it up and yet i am an ok cook, have just never made bread.

Speed
When you increase speed, what speed do you go to (yourself.(

Dough Ball shape and Tins
When placing dough ball in, do you stretch in out to shape in a loaf shape ie oval or round.
Could I put it on a baking tray or better in a circulon loaf tin x 2.

Yeast Sachet What Kind
Yeast sachets, 7gms, can you tell me what brand you buy, I was heading to foodtown for these ???

Temp and How Long:
Excited now, I have two bowls so should be able to make a bit, I presume to cook in centre of oven - what temp and how long

Yes would love your bun recipe and pic, will check back tonight and tomorrow.
Thanks so much I really appreciate it..

moreorless, Jul 15, 7:07am
DavidT4,

I called out your name because I have seen so many good recipes from you ie: lots and lots and good sound advice and wisdom, thank you for the bread recipe, saving it now.

shop-a-holic, Jul 15, 8:02am
Speed
When you increase speed, what speed do you go to (yourself.(

Dough Ball shape and Tins
When placing dough ball in, do you stretch in out to shape in a loaf shape ie oval or round. Could I put it on a baking tray or better in a circulon loaf tin x 2.

Not yet. I place it in a bowl for the first rising (ie: first proof). I use a normal ovenproof bowl (Mason Cash Mixing Bowl). Proof in oven for first rising. You punch the air down in the first rising, and its looks deflating;sometimes you are left with what you started with. Don't despair. It needs to proof twice. Before proofing it (or raising it) again, I shape it. Usually make a PLAIT, after stuffing it with fresh Thyme; butter and Garlic.

Yeast Sachet What Kind
Yeast sachets, 7gms, can you tell me what brand you buy, I was heading to foodtown for these ???
okay: Edmonds Sure To Rise Instant Dry Yeast. 12 sachets in the pack. Each contains 7-8gms yeast.
Temp and How Long:I'll check my books in the morning. It differs, if you want to produce a loaf; focaccia; ciabatta; dinner rolls etc etc

Excited now, I have two bowls so should be able to make a bit, I presume to cook in centre of oven - what temp and how long
I'll post in morning. I plan to make several different bread styles, and I'll post the pics.

Yes would love your bun recipe and pic, will check back tonight and tomorrow.
Thanks so much I really appreciate it..

Top TIP from Gordon: After the first proof; using digital scales, divide dough into 60gm lots. This takes a little time and patience. 60gms exactly. When the dough has been weighed, roll into a ball and place on baking sheet with parchment paper. Using scissors, snip the tops of each of the balls, vertically. Proof again, then bake.
The secret to this method: is that all your guests enjoy a dinner roll with the EXACT same weight. They all come out the same :-) and very uniform.

moreorless, Jul 15, 8:51am
Fab Fab Fab yay, if you get time tomorrow for the pics and info, great, many thanks

deus701, Jul 15, 9:01am
I bake breads abit, n normal yeast or instant yeast is fine. I usually make breads using sponge method where in a small bowl or cup, you put the yeast with warm water, abit of sugar n flour and set aside for the yeast to get all horny. Then you add this gooey mixture n make ur bread. In a mixer with 3 speeds (low, med, high), i would use low speed to slowly mix all the ingredients well, then on med speed to develop the gluten n never on high speed. Then u baked it off around 190-220C for 'oven spring' where the yeast multiplies faster at higher temperature before being killed off.

A site worth checking out http://www.thefreshloaf.com/

moreorless, Jul 15, 10:14am
Thanks deus701 I shall check out the above and thanks for your info.

shop-a-holic, Jul 15, 10:24am
It's all good info and a tiny bit of practice goes a long way.
8 on a KitchenAid is mediumish....... 10 is your MAX.
Let me measure it all tomorrow... :-)
Cheers

moreorless, Jul 15, 10:23pm
Thanks Juliewn,

Shop-a-holic, I think I read somewhere you must do the dough in your machine on 2 and not past 4, but I will check again.
Thanks

cgvl, Jul 16, 12:28am
yeasts in order that I prefer are the Tasti brand, then there is one available that is in sachet form and lastly the edmonds surebake brand.
I make a lot of bread and have found that the tasti breadmakers yeast to be the most consistent.
I love using fresh yeast but it is hard to come by these days.
In general 1 sachet of yeast is equivalent to 3tsp tasti yeast.

moreorless, Jul 16, 3:07am
Thanks cgvl, that is handy info to know.

moreorless, Jul 17, 10:35pm
Bump for Shop-aholice for recipes and photos - only when you have a minute, thanks :-)

cookessentials, Jul 22, 3:38am
I have them in stock now moreorless. Red and white at $169.00

cookessentials, Jul 22, 3:40am
I prefer usng fresh yeast ( and I understand it is not easy to get in some places) I get mine from Moore Wilson here in Masterton, it freezes well and you can just thaw it out overnight in the fridge. I also have either fermipan or similar for times when I dont have any fresh.

cookessentials, Jul 22, 3:42am
There are a number of good bread books available and KitchenAid also do a great cookbook which has been formulated for their machines.

moreorless, Jul 22, 3:49am
Thanks Cookessentials.

Can you tell me the brand of fresh you buy, I am in Auckland but I understand Nosh sell it, so wouldnt mind to use one that comes recommended.
Thanks for the info re stick blender.