Plain light cake recipe

Page 1 / 4
jorjagirl, Feb 4, 12:04pm
☼ Bumping cos I need to make this in a few days time.

greenforde, Feb 6, 1:27am
Would a roasting dish be too big to cook this cake in!

torichic, Feb 8, 8:47pm
very nice cake,,thankyou!

supercook, Feb 8, 11:56pm
I will have to try will put jelly on the shopping list.

kiwibubbles, Jul 14, 10:43pm
I'm after a cake that is very light (like a sponge) and very moist.. but is not quite a sponge (a bit more cakey). God hope that made sense LOL... i made a pound cake.. but nah that doesn't quite do it. Any suggestions?

kiwitrish, Jul 15, 12:00am
Lemon Madeira Cake.
As a cake decorator this is the recipe I always use.It comes out lovely and moist and keeps that way for days.Makes 2 medium cakes or 1 large cake.Gave this recipe on here a few weeks ago and baker was delighted how well it turned out..
1 cup milk
125gm butter. Bring these to the boil
In a mixer, beat 4 eggs and gradually adds 2 cups sugar, 1 pkt lemon jelly crystals and 1 tsp vanilla essence. Beat until thick, then add 2 and a 1/4 cups of plain flour, 1/4 tsp salt and 2 tsp baking powder. Mix then quickly stir in the boiled milk and butter. Turn the mixture into two 7 or 8 inch lined tins and bake 180c for 20 minutes. If using a novelty shaped pan bake the whole mixture for 40 minutes at 180c or until skewer comes out clean.

harrislucinda, Jul 15, 1:56am
kiwitrish,thatlooksinterestingwilldo thatonmynextbakingday

kiwibubbles, Jul 15, 3:22am
lemon jelly crystals????

kiwitrish, Jul 15, 10:24pm
It is just a packet of jelly.

kiwibubbles, Jul 15, 10:43pm
I'm after a cake that is very light (like a sponge) and very moist. but is not quite a sponge (a bit more cakey). God hope that made sense LOL. i made a pound cake. but nah that doesn't quite do it. Any suggestions!

kiwitrish, Jul 16, 12:00am
Lemon Madeira Cake.
As a cake decorator this is the recipe I always use.It comes out lovely and moist and keeps that way for days.Makes 2 medium cakes or 1 large cake.Gave this recipe on here a few weeks ago and baker was delighted how well it turned out.
1 cup milk
125gm butter. Bring these to the boil
In a mixer, beat 4 eggs and gradually adds 2 cups sugar, 1 pkt lemon jelly crystals and 1 tsp vanilla essence. Beat until thick, then add 2 and a 1/4 cups of plain flour, 1/4 tsp salt and 2 tsp baking powder. Mix then quickly stir in the boiled milk and butter. Turn the mixture into two 7 or 8 inch lined tins and bake 180c for 20 minutes. If using a novelty shaped pan bake the whole mixture for 40 minutes at 180c or until skewer comes out clean.

kiwibubbles, Jul 16, 12:24am
yeah i know lol... I was just a bit dumbfounded i guess that there are jelly crystals in a cake LOL... does it affect the texture?

kiwibubbles, Jul 16, 3:22am
lemon jelly crystals!

kiwitrish, Jul 16, 9:07pm
no, they disolve when the hot milk and butter are added.

kiwibubbles, Jul 17, 12:24am
yeah i know lol. I was just a bit dumbfounded i guess that there are jelly crystals in a cake LOL. does it affect the texture!

ballito, Jul 19, 9:50pm
I made this last night and it makes a lovely big cake.It was delicious and I will certainly make it again.

dbab, Jul 19, 11:36pm
kiwitrish
Would you be able to use any flavoured jelly?
It might make some interesting cakes with different flavours.

kiwitrish, Jul 19, 11:55pm
I tried it with a strawberry jelly but to tell the truth I couldnt taste any flavour in it.Might be worth a try though.

kiwitrish, Jul 19, 11:56pm
Thank you.It does make a nice cake.All the cake decorators I know use the recipe.

dbab, Jul 20, 11:36pm
kiwitrish
Would you be able to use any flavoured jelly!
It might make some interesting cakes with different flavours.

retired, Jul 22, 6:04am
I made the cake today.The 8 inch square too a bit longer to cook but he slab one cooked in 20 minutes.I put grated lemon peel.It is a very light,moist delicious cake.Many thanks for the recipe will definitely make it again.

dbab, Jul 24, 8:23am
I agree with you retired. It's going to be one of my new favourite recipes. I'm hoping it will freeze well as it made such a big cake, I put 1/2 in the freezer. Mine took about 50 minutes to cook. My husband has just had a piece and has given it the thumbs up too.
Thanks kiwitrish. I have passed the recipe on to my 2 daughters too.

agave1, Jul 24, 8:57am
Sounds great, except for vegetarians!Will try it using vegetarian jelly crystals.

justme27, Jul 24, 9:06am
I made this today and it's yummmmy :) Just wondering how it would turn out making 2 loaves instead of the cakes, and what size loaf tins would be best to use? The cakes will definitely be made again soon..thanks o much for your recipe kiwitrish

dbab, Jul 25, 8:23am
I agree with you retired. It's going to be one of my new favourite recipes. I'm hoping it will freeze well as it made such a big cake, I put 1/2 in the freezer. Mine took about 50 minutes to cook. My husband has just had a piece and has given it the thumbs up too.
Thanks kiwitrish. I have passed the recipe on to my 2 daughters too.