Red & green curry paste

uli, Jan 23, 3:53am
x1
I always thought it was other way round :)

mattdylan, Jan 23, 3:55am
I have found the Greggs curry pastes to be awful, I would get an authentic Thai one or make your own, easy as if you have a blender

summah63, Jan 23, 4:26am
Thai Takeaway said
Green is the hottest. I use Exotic Authentic Thai Red Curry Paste in my Chicken Meatballs.

raewyn64, Jul 14, 7:03am
I purchased 2 jars of curry paste today - one is red and one is green.
Besides the colour is there anything different between the two?
Thansk in advance

jessie981, Jul 14, 7:16am
Not sure but think the Green is hotter

esther-anne, Jul 14, 7:49am
What did you have in mind to make when you bought them raewyn??

chan21, Jul 14, 7:55am
Green is very hot red is mild

raewyn64, Jul 14, 7:57am
Thanks everyone.
Esther-anne I have had the green before and use it to make Thai green curries with coconut cream etc. I needed to get a new pot of it today and saw the red one as well so I grabbed both of them thinking they might have some different directions on them but they are identical labels.
But chan21's post is good to hear as I have used the green before so at least I know the red one won't be anymore hotter when I use it.

talent.scout, Jul 14, 8:43pm
The difference is one is made from red chillies, and the other green!

garfeild101, Jul 14, 10:06pm
i use green all the time and yellow too, green isnt hot its medium but mixed with coconut milk its fine-i cant have spicy and i use these all the time =)

andrea09, Jul 14, 11:54pm
funny- i would of thought the red was hotter...
I have these in my pantry all the time. So easy to make curries as good as what you would buy at a resturant-coconut cream, palm sugar (to make sweeter and add more if you accidentally make it too spicy), fish sauce and spring onions-chicken and whatever veggies you want. so simple

raewyn64, Jul 15, 6:28am
well I emailed Greggs and asked them seeing as they are the manufacturer.
Their reply was:
It will be difficult to say when to use green and red curry as both can be used in chicken, beef, pork or seafood dish. Green curry paste contains more chilli and slightly sweeter than Red curry paste. Red Curry may be slightly more salty than Green, as it contains fish sauce. Green curry does not contain fish sauce ingredient.

For some consumers, it will be difficult to determine green curry from red curry apart from the colour. As both can be used for any meat and seafood then the use of Green and Red curry would also depend on individual preferences.

waipawa, Jul 15, 6:42am
The difference between the 2 clearly explained:

http://britishexpat.com/asia/thailand/thai-food/thai-curry-pastes-2/

I googled that for you. Though really, you should be doing your own googling and wiping your own bum by now. Have you heard of google or wikipedia? They are great sources of answers. There is a whole huge internet outside the Trademe Messageboard. Don't be frightened - use it!

raewyn64, Jul 15, 7:03am
I purchased 2 jars of curry paste today - one is red and one is green.
Besides the colour is there anything different between the two!
Thansk in advance

esther-anne, Jul 15, 7:49am
What did you have in mind to make when you bought them raewyn!

raewyn64, Jul 15, 7:57am
Thanks everyone.
Esther-anne I have had the green before and use it to make Thai green curries with coconut cream etc. I needed to get a new pot of it today and saw the red one as well so I grabbed both of them thinking they might have some different directions on them but they are identical labels.
But chan21's post is good to hear as I have used the green before so at least I know the red one won't be anymore hotter when I use it.

andrea09, Jul 15, 11:54pm
funny- i would of thought the red was hotter.
I have these in my pantry all the time. So easy to make curries as good as what you would buy at a resturant-coconut cream, palm sugar (to make sweeter and add more if you accidentally make it too spicy), fish sauce and spring onions-chicken and whatever veggies you want. so simple

waipawa, Jul 16, 6:42am
The difference between the 2 clearly explained:

http://britishexpat.com/asia/thailand/thai-food/thai-curry-pastes-2/

I googled that for you. Though really, you should be doing your own googling and wiping your own bum by now. Have you heard of google or wikipedia! They are great sources of answers. There is a whole huge internet outside the Trademe Messageboard. Don't be frightened - use it!