What to do with a pickled pork hock?

sphinx460, Jul 9, 9:50am
Have one in the freezer that we were given and it needs using. I have no idea what to do with it!

mwood, Jul 9, 10:30am
pass the parcel ?

wayne472, Jul 9, 11:30am
boil it up and eat it!
make soup out of the water if you like!

kinna54, Jul 10, 9:20am
Pickled pork has a sort of corned beef flavour to me, so cook as you would corned beef. I have never actually cooked it, but my MIL used to cook pickled pork and she boiled it. Maybe a good soup stock as suggested? I would let it cool and stand and set to skim the fat off though.

mercury14, Jul 11, 10:50am
Make small slits in it with a sharp knife and push peeled cloves of garlic in and then bring to the boil and simmer till done. Yum Yum.

fisher, Jul 11, 11:59am
Crock Pot Pickled Pork
Best left in the fridge in foil to marinate overnight..
Mix together 2 tbsp honey and2 tbsp wholegrain mustard with a little salt and black pepper..Warm in saucepan on low heat.
Pour over pork and cover well... Wrap and seal in tinfoil pocket...
Place the "wrapped" pork on an upturned saucer in the crock pot and pour about an inch of water in the bottom.
Leave on low all day and place still wrapped on bench 20mis to rest.
Slice and serve..

fisher, Jul 11, 12:02pm
Pickled Pork With Fruit and Cider
Preheat crock pot for 20 mins
1.8kg piece of pickled pork..1/2 cup maple syrup..750mls cider .. 2 granny smith apples peeled cored and sliced..3/4 cup raisins
Trim meat of any excess fat and then put meat in crock pot.. Add the maple syrup to the crock pot. Pour the cider into a suitable container.
Heat in the microwave or in a saucepan till hot. Pour over the meat in the crock pot and turn the meat over in the aromatic liquid to coat....
Cover with lid and cook on low for 8 to 10 hrs, if possible turn the meat 1/2 way through cooking...
At 90 mins before serving add the apples and raisins and cover with lid, continue cooking for 90 mins...
Remove meat from croc kpot, let rest, slice and arrange on a platter spooning the fruit onto the meat.

janny3, Jul 11, 12:10pm
Makes a nutritious soup that is cheap.

Pop a pork hock into a slow cooker or simmer soup pot.
Add 3/4cup split peas & 1/4cup Lentils, barley.
Won't usually need salt (pickled pork can have enough salt - if too salty you may need to dilute/add more water your cooking liquor)
Chopped, grated or sliced carrots, celery, kumera, spud, parsley, pumpkin, silverbeet or any other veges you have to hand.
Add water to fill pot up to 3/4 full.
Cook overnight in crockpot or 4hrs in simmer soup pot. (Taste & add extra water if too salty).
Enjoy.