Carrot Cake for Birthday Cake

macwood2, Jul 6, 9:17am
I have to make a carrot cake for a birthday on the weekend to feed 30 adults.I had planned to make the Motueka Cafe cake but have not made it before.I was talking to winnie231 and she said it was rather a dense cake and maybe not "light" enough for a birthday cake.Can anyone who makes the Motueka cake give me their opinion on this.Is their another cake I should make?

winnie231, Jul 6, 9:31am
Just to add ... I absolutely love the Moteuka Carrot Cake but I was trying to give an honest summary - and it is very dense.

Another popular recipe is ...
MacKenzie's - "I have doubled/tripled and 4x'ed this cake and it all ways turn's out perfectly, just adjust your cooking times to suit, a clean skewer is a great indication...

Here it is BEAT 3 eggs, 3/4 cup oil and 1.5cups sugar, when light in colour add 1 tsp vanilla 3/4 cup orange juice and small tin of crushed pinnapple. In another bowl put 3 cups grated carrot, 2 cups wholemeal flour, 1 cup coconut 1.5 tsp mixed spice, 1 tsp cinnamon, 1.5 tsp baking soda, 2 tsp baking powder, .5 cup walnuts. Mix all together, bake 160 for approx 1 hr, keep checking after 50mins (oven dependent) I would 4x times this for the cake you are after, I have often been asked to make this one for 21st, B'days etc and triple it.."

winnie231, Jul 6, 9:33am
Or from rkcroft ...
Carrot Cake
1c oil (canola is best)
2c plain flour
2 tsps baking soda
3 eggs
1c chopped pecans or walnuts
1c raisins
2c caster sugar
2 tsps ground cinnamon
2 tsps vanilla extract
1 tsp salt
2c grated carrot
1c crushed pineapple well drained
Beat eggs together, sift together over dry ingredients, then add everything else. Mix together until well blended. Pour into a greased and lined cake tin.
Bake @ 180C for about 1 1/2 hours until cooked.

marcs, Jul 6, 1:46pm
I make the Motueka carrot cake at the restaurant I work in Auz. I get a lot of comments about how wonderful and moist it is. It is dense with the amount carrots in it but I prefer a moist carrot cake then a dry carrot cake. I make it in a 23cm cake tin which comes out quite high.Would suggest to make it in a bigger tin so that you can stretch the mixture out a bit but reduce the cooking time however make sure you check to see if it cooked. I think it is a wonderful cake and you will get a lot of comments. After trying out so many carrot cakes this is the only one that hit the spot. I make it WITHOUT the apricot and pumpkin seeds which also make it less dense. Would suggest to make one before you decide.

If you are making cream cheese icing, use this recipe.

250g cream cheese (traditional)
2/3 cup castor sugar
50 g soft butter
Juice and rind of 1/2 lemon.

Beat cream cheese and sugar till all dissolved and light and fluffy. Add butter and beat till well mixed and fluffy. Add lemon juice and rind and mix in. Adjust the flavour as you like. (found adding icing sugar to the mixture makes the cream cheese icing runny so prefer to use castor sugar). Top with chopped apricot, walnuts and pumkin seeds.

macwood2, Jul 6, 7:25pm
Many thanks for the comments.Maybe I will make two . . .

feraljess, Jul 6, 11:32pm
Hi, I would like to try this Motueka carrot cake but could someone tell me approx how many cups of carrots 750gm is?

winnie231, Jul 6, 11:54pm
Here's the Motueka Carrot Cake recipe again just in case anyone is interested ...
Motueka Moorings Cafe Carrot Cake:

2 Cups of wholemeal Flour, 2 Cups of sugar, 2 tsp of Mixed spice 2 tsp Cinnamon, 2 tsp of Baking Soda, 1 Cup of Walnuts, 1/2 Cup of Pumpkin seeds, 1 Cup of Sultanas, 1 Cup of chopped up dried Apricots, 750gm Grated Carrots, 1 & 1/2 Cups oil, 4 eggs 2 tspn Vanilla.

Mix all the ingredients together except, (carrots, oil, eggs, vanilla) Add grated carrots, mix well. Whisk up 1 1/2 Cups oils with the 4 eggs, add the vanilla. Fold Carefully into the dry ingredients DO NOT OVER MIX Bake at 170c for up to 2 hours keep an eye on it. Don’t forget to line the tin, makes 1 very large cake.

*I think 750g carrots is a good 2C but maybe someone else can confirm this. It's been a while since I made this cake :)

chris313, Jul 6, 11:56pm
I make "the best carrot cake ever" - I found the recipe on here and it's truly both fabulous and easy! Just do a search and you'll find it.

marcs, Jul 7, 5:26am
Say about 2 cups of carrot I think grated.

macwood2, Jul 7, 6:05am
chris313 what recipe did you use?

mackenzie2, Jul 7, 6:18am
My receipe above is a great easy tasty one to make, it is not dense, good luck with yourthe Birthday cake

macwood2, Jul 7, 9:46am
Thank you mackenzie - winnie231 said to watch out for your cake.We both agreed we really like your postings.

angie461, Jul 7, 9:29pm
I'd go for the Motueka Carrot cake, it is fabulous, I make it for my sisters and they love it. I cant stop eating it.I guess it depends on whether or not the person likes carrot cake?

macwood2, Jul 8, 6:10am
Yes Angie they obviously like Carrot Cake because that is all they are having after dinner.I will make one cake which I will decorate and one which i will leave a little plainer.