Mutton birds

geedubu, Mar 19, 5:20am
I don't know if this is the right thread but I am VERY keen to find muttonbirds for a very seriously ill mate who would love a feed of them; is there any source (I don't care what it costs)

sultana0, Mar 19, 5:29am
sometimes a fresh fishery type shop have them and also some supermarkets. Let your fingers do the walking and call around. If he loves them as much as me... he will be a happy mate

geedubu, Mar 19, 5:31am
Thanks. Tried google & phone calls but to no avail so far. This is something I would love to do for him as things do not look good (without going into details)

sultana0, Mar 19, 5:39am
I'm not sure when the season is for them, keep trying and good luck. Actually a mate of mine a few years ago gave me a bucket of them, (they didn't like them) I was in mutton bird heaven. I drool just thinkin about it, haha

sherylrl, Mar 19, 5:59am
Mutton bird season [in the shops] is around the end of June. My cuzzies have just gone over to collect them - shares in the Island:-)Not keen on them myself. Your local fisheries should have them in by then? If you have no luck let me know and I'll see what I can do. 0276631695. Can't promise cos last season they were pretty scarce and orders had being placed from the season before. . ? Hers hoping anyway. Good luck!

geedubu, Nov 15, 6:04pm
Very nice of you sherylrl, they are a real treat and I'll give you a call if timeframe for this mission allows. Our wives were never too keen on us cooking them inside as you could tell what we'd been eating a week later, but they are absolutely unique especially when slow-cooked a couple of times with the last time a pile of squeezed and rinsed puha & watercress added. I haven't done the boil them thoroughly then grill them to finish idea yet, but this sounds good. If I have to deliver the treat before the season starts I'm thinking a big fresh cray from the Auckland markets & a dozen Bluff oysters would go OK!