Cream cheese

infinityjrc, Jul 4, 9:22am
Hi there I have never really used cream cheese before; I know you can add it under bread with smoked salmon on it, but just wondering what else you can do with it, is it able to make a pasta sauce etc, mydaughter left an unopened tub in the fridge, and so what can I use it for?Not really a fan of it cold on breads...

elliehen, Jul 4, 9:32am
Split open a prune, stuff it with cream cheese and eat it :)

skye7, Jul 4, 9:34am
Cream cheese is nice on a pizza. Or in a quiche. If you want a sweet desert consider cheese cake.

245sam, Jul 4, 9:50am
A really nice, tasty nibble that we tried recently was cream cheese mixed with chopped crystallised ginger, then celery sticks filled with the mixture and cut into 1 mouthful-sized pieces.

Here's a recipe that you might like to try:

HERB AND TWO-CHEESE BREAD
250g (8oz) cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp margarine
1 tbsp sugar
2 eggs
½ cup milk
1½ cups (170g/6oz) grated tasty cheese
1 tbsp green onion slices
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
¾-1½ tsp Italian seasoning
¼ tsp salt

Beat the cream cheese, margarine and sugar in a large mixing bowl at medium speed with an electric mixer until well blended. Add the eggs and milk; mix well.
In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients, then add the cheese and onions and toss them through. Add the cream cheese mixture, mixing just until moistened – the mixture will be very thick. Place the mixture into a greased and floured 22∙5cm x 12∙5cm (9”x5”) loaf pan.
Bake at 180°C for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes, then remove from the pan and allow to cool completely.
This loaf cuts best if made a day ahead.
I find that this recipe is also a great way to use previously frozen cream cheese.:-))

Edited to add.....For more recipes and ideas have a look at:-

http://www.tararua.net.nz/recipes

bappy, Jul 4, 8:47pm
You can make a nice dip with tinned salmon. Or use it to make an icing on a carrot or banana cake.Or just use it as a spread on sandwitches.

lx4000, Jul 4, 8:54pm
cream cheese icing:
50g cream cheese
25g butter
1cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

Beat cream cheese for 5 mins (to get air into it.)

Add butter and beat again for 5 mins.

add icing sugar and van ess and beat together.

Then taste test!! hehehehe

garfeild101, Jul 5, 1:53am
I use light cream cheese as a dip with chips, use it on pizza, use it with chicken (inside as a stuffing) all sorts =)

garfeild101, Jul 5, 2:00am
oh and with sliced salami or salmon too or as a spread on sammies

lx4000, Jul 5, 2:03am
cream cheese and tomato on crackers and cream cheese and vegemite on crackers! mmMmm

jessie981, Jul 5, 2:32am
use instead of sour cream in pumpkin soup or freeze until needed

kinna54, Jul 5, 3:13am
I often just spread it instead of butter, or use it instead of sour cream, add it to my cheese mixture layers on lasagna and pasta bakes, use in muffins: cream cheese and blueberry muffins or cream cheese and lemon muffins... bliss. LOVE cream cheese, apricot and chicken sammies. Nice spread on bagels with your favourite topping. cheese ball or dips are great made from it.

wildflower, Jul 5, 4:07am
Date and cream cheese sandwich.

garfeild101, Jul 5, 4:18am
oh sammies with cream cheese, mashed egg with mayo, and sliced cucumber-taste cafe style or add salmon slices too =)oh Im making myself hungry in these threads lol

southerngurl, Jul 5, 6:50am
cheese balls!! mix with some grated cheese, chopped fruits make it into a ball, and roll it in chopped nuts NOM NOM NOM!!!!

nzwhisky, Jul 31, 7:00am
we have cream cheese and sweet chilli sauce on pizza.yummy

books4nz, Jul 31, 10:38am
Made a cream cheese icing recently to go on gingerbread - double loaf recipe made as a cake - didn't use any butter. Softened the cream cheese, added sifted icing sugar to taste, then lemon rind and juice. Very good. Couldn't tell the difference to when it has butter.

books4nz, Aug 1, 10:38am
Made a cream cheese icing recently to go on gingerbread - double loaf recipe made as a cake - didn't use any butter. Softened the cream cheese, added sifted icing sugar to taste, then lemon rind and juice. Very good. Couldn't tell the difference to when it has butter.

infinityjrc, Jul 4, 9:22am
Hi there I have never really used cream cheese before; I know you can add it under bread with smoked salmon on it, but just wondering what else you can do with it, is it able to make a pasta sauce etc, mydaughter left an unopened tub in the fridge, and so what can I use it for!Not really a fan of it cold on breads.

245sam, Jul 4, 9:50am
A really nice, tasty nibble that we tried recently was cream cheese mixed with chopped crystallised ginger, then celery sticks filled with the mixture and cut into 1 mouthful-sized pieces.

Here's a recipe that you might like to try:

HERB AND TWO-CHEESE BREAD
250g (8oz) cream cheese, softened
2 tbsp margarine
1 tbsp sugar
2 eggs
½ cup milk
1½ cups (170g/6oz) grated tasty cheese
1 tbsp green onion slices
2 cups flour
2 tsp baking powder
¾-1½ tsp Italian seasoning
¼ tsp salt

Beat the cream cheese, margarine and sugar in a large mixing bowl at medium speed with an electric mixer until well blended. Add the eggs and milk; mix well.
In a large bowl combine the dry ingredients, then add the cheese and onions and toss them through. Add the cream cheese mixture, mixing just until moistened – the mixture will be very thick. Place the mixture into a greased and floured 22∙5cm x 12∙5cm (9”x5”) loaf pan.
Bake at 180°C for 45-50 minutes or until golden brown. Cool for 5 minutes, then remove from the pan and allow to cool completely.
This loaf cuts best if made a day ahead.
I find that this recipe is also a great way to use previously frozen cream cheese.:-))

Edited to add.For more recipes and ideas have a look at:-

http://www.tararua.net.nz/recipes

lx4000, Jul 4, 8:54pm
cream cheese icing:
50g cream cheese
25g butter
1cup icing sugar
1/2 tsp vanilla essence

Beat cream cheese for 5 mins (to get air into it.)

Add butter and beat again for 5 mins.

add icing sugar and van ess and beat together.

Then taste test! hehehehe

kinna54, Jul 5, 3:13am
I often just spread it instead of butter, or use it instead of sour cream, add it to my cheese mixture layers on lasagna and pasta bakes, use in muffins: cream cheese and blueberry muffins or cream cheese and lemon muffins. bliss. LOVE cream cheese, apricot and chicken sammies. Nice spread on bagels with your favourite topping. cheese ball or dips are great made from it.

southerngurl, Jul 5, 6:50am
cheese balls! mix with some grated cheese, chopped fruits make it into a ball, and roll it in chopped nuts NOM NOM NOM!