Best rice pudding ever

Page 1 / 2
penwill1, Jul 2, 7:29am
One 400gm tin of coconut milk/cream 400mls water two tablespoon sugar, 3/4 cup of short grain rice, bring to boil and then simmer 20-25 minutes, this is Jo Segars recipe and it is yummy, I served it with a little passionfruit pulp on the side.
thanks Jo Segar

muppet65, Jul 2, 8:31am
I'm finding it impossible to find short grain rice

molly37, Jul 2, 9:10am
Yes, me too. I have used medium. it is fine.

harrislucinda, Jul 2, 9:11am
medorlongwill still do aricepuddingTrymaking inslowcookerwithbowlinwatermakes it niceandfuffy

norse_westie, Jul 2, 9:27am
The Binn Inn has it.

cottagerose, Jul 2, 10:02am
Use aborio rice. Its in a green pkt and is used also for risottos.
I use it and its like the rice my mum used to make

janzvanz, Jul 2, 10:20am
I'm in Hastings and I got some at PaknSav yesterday.Made a nice rice pud on our wood burner.The one with the Coconut milk sounds tasty and I'll try that one next.

tehenga288, Jul 2, 10:35am
yeah arborio makes good rice pudding

fogs, Jul 2, 1:32pm
I use sushi ricethe packet says that is short grain comes in a black packet

margyr, Jul 3, 1:07am
I agree with the aborio rice, I bought some this week and made a rice pudding last night, delicious lovely and creamy just like Mum used to make.

laneyjan, Jul 3, 10:28am
Can I please have the recipe for the rice pud using the aborio rice from margyr that is just like Mum used to make. My husband will love me for ever if I make it.

margyr, Jul 3, 5:18pm
1 cup of rice, about 1/2cup sugar, vanilla essence, 6 cups of milk, all in a casserole dish, a couple of nobs of butter, then into the oven 180, for about an hour, stir with a fork midway through cooking. It even made a sort of burnt skin on the top, nom, nom.

muppet65, Jul 4, 12:28am
wow really? I've often thought about using aborio..thanks

laneyjan, Jul 4, 5:16am
Thanks very much margyr, I will make it as soon as I get to toen to buy the rice, sounds yummy. I love the brown skin!

cottagerose, Jul 4, 8:20am
Rice Pudding

100gms aborio rice
5 cups milk
1/2 cup castor sugar

Boil for 10 mins, stirring, on stove top then add drop vanilla ess and pop in moderate oven until it has a skin on top

This recipe was out of a Donna Hay or Taste magazine. and works really well

wellygoggles, Jul 4, 5:19pm
Has anyone got a recipe using condensed milk (Carnation) pls like my mum used to make?

margyr, Jul 4, 8:03pm
wellygoggles, I cook the rice and then drain a tin of crushed pineapple and stir through a tin of condensed milk, without the pineapple it is nice also, alot like the tinned rice.

laneyjan, Jul 7, 9:36am
Hi margyr,We had the yummiest rice pudding I've ever made in 43 years of marriage, for tea tonight, thanks to youJust like my Mum used to make but she never told me how. Mind you I suppose I never asked!!
Thanks a million

margyr, Jul 7, 7:52pm
Pleased you enjoyed it laneyjan! But dont be like an Aunty of mine, her husband used to come home for lunch each day and one day he commented how nice the rice pudding was so she made it every day for the next 25 or so years!!! Haha on the odd occassion we were there at lunch time it was a yummy pudding, but everyday?

muppet65, Jul 8, 2:29am
yuk ..made this the other night its not nice (in my opinion anyway) it tasted too much like cocount milk

suzanna, Jul 8, 3:32am
Funny that lol.

nzbadger, Jul 9, 1:03am
Me too. I ate it, but wouldn't doit again. :-)

lindylambchops1, Jul 9, 4:48am
I made that earlier this week...it was delicious!Kids don't usually care for rice pud, but this one they loved.

janzvanz, Jul 2, 10:20am
I'm in Hastings and I got some at PaknSav yesterday.Made a nice rice pud on our wood burner.The one with the Coconut milk sounds tasty and I'll try that one next.

wellygoggles, Jul 4, 5:19pm
Has anyone got a recipe using condensed milk (Carnation) pls like my mum used to make!