Cracks on top of cakes or fruit loaves..

justme27, Jun 30, 8:57am
Can anybody please tell me what causes these? The oven temp seems to be just fine but still seem to have these occur :( Thanks for any hints..

elsielaurie1, Jun 30, 9:19am
Oven too hot is usually the problem for me. Some ovens are 'hotter' than others. Try baking it at 50oC cooler than recommended and see what happens..:-} It may take a little longer though.

dice4, Jun 30, 9:23am
I find over mixing is the cause. Pre beat eggs a little with a fork and once you add the dry ingredients mix until just combined.

kiwibubbles, Jun 30, 10:04am
i've heard that if a cake comes out of the oven cracked, you should put a damp teatowel over it and apparently that helps the cracks close up. I'd be keen to hear whether its worked for others

bali_nz, Jun 30, 10:58am
Your oven is too hot, the top of the cake sets before the bp has activated, so when it rises it cracks, just bump the temp of your oven down a shade and it should sort it out

justme27, Jun 30, 6:20pm
Thanks for these tips - will certainly try lowering the oven temp.(and the damp teatowel if needed):)

justme27, Jul 1, 8:57am
Can anybody please tell me what causes these! The oven temp seems to be just fine but still seem to have these occur :( Thanks for any hints.

elsielaurie1, Jul 1, 9:19am
Oven too hot is usually the problem for me. Some ovens are 'hotter' than others. Try baking it at 50oC cooler than recommended and see what happens.:-} It may take a little longer though.

kiwibubbles, Jul 1, 10:04am
i've heard that if a cake comes out of the oven cracked, you should put a damp teatowel over it and apparently that helps the cracks close up. I'd be keen to hear whether its worked for others