Big Chocolate Cake Recipe Needed Please...

Page 1 / 2
pickle9, Feb 13, 8:16pm
Thank you dollmakernz and message board search fuction. I have missplaced the recipe book that I have this written in and wanted to make this for hubby's valentines dinner now I can yay

loulou104, Feb 14, 4:19am
I made the first one recently and everyone raved about it but i made it in asquare cake tin. I was wondering the same thing, does it rise much in the roasting tin or come out like a brownie!

ayglepaygle, Feb 14, 5:28am
What size roasting tray do you use!What size round cake tins!Thanks

ayglepaygle, Feb 14, 5:30am
What size roasting tray did you use! Thanks
(Asking as roasting trays come in lots of sizes.)

ayglepaygle, Feb 14, 5:31am
What size roasting tray do you use! Thanks

pickle9, Feb 14, 11:38pm
The dish I use is 30cm X 33cm inside measurement

ayglepaygle, Feb 15, 5:27am
Thankyou!

sharonann1, Feb 16, 1:10am
Large chocolate cake recipe i got from sister in law many years ago,

8 oz of butter, 4oz( which equals 4 tablespoons) Golden Syrup, 3 cups Sugar, 4 Eggs, 1 pint Tepid milk, 2 tsp Boaking Soda, 4 tsp baking powder, 5 cups Flour, 4 tablespoon Cocoa, Vanilla essence. 2 tsp spice is optional.

Melt butter, syrup and sugar. Add beaten eggs mix well. Add vanilla, flour,& Baking powder. Lastly add soda DISSOLVED IN MILK.

Bake 350for 45min in meat dish.

I have just made one now in oven cooking.
Lovely moist cake!
Happy baking

sharonann1, Feb 16, 2:10am
Inside of roasting dish is 330 x 330. Cake rised to bout 50mm. Very moist

chrisran, Feb 17, 12:42am
Have made this style of cake for ages. It's huge! Makes a great cake for splitting in half and turning into a sort of black forest type of cake with tinned cherries etc. I just use a punnet of yoghurt, any sort, but berry ones are best. I call it the "chocolate gateaux for dummies".

momma1, Feb 17, 1:53am
i use the one egg chocolate cake in the edmonds book just triple quadruple it and it fills a roasting dish

kinna54, Feb 17, 3:29am
evorotorua's special is still the one to beat! have made it countless times for special ocassions, it cuts well, never crumbly or dry. Have iced it with several variations, from ganache, to butter cream, and marzipan.

Chocolate Yoghurt Banana Cake
*An easy no fail recipe
2 cups sugar
200gms butter or margarine
3 cups self raising flour
2eggs
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 cup cocoa
1/4 tsp salt
2 mashed bananas
1+ 1/2 tsp vanilla essence
1 cup plain yoghurt
1 cup boiling water *add last*
Place all ingredients into a large bowl, pouring the boiling water over the butter or margarine to melt it.
Mix all ingredients together to combine and that’s it!
Pour into a largespring form tin, roasting dish or into muffin cups.
Bake as a large cake for around 1hr 10mins, at 180c or in muffin cases 10-12 minutes.

Note: *You can leave out the bananas if desired* I prefer this recipe without.

Ice with chocolate butter icing.
can also be split thru and filled with a choc creamicing, dust top with sifted icing sugar.
*makes a large cake or around 25 large cup cakes*
*Cake freezes well

arielbooks, Feb 17, 3:38am
I can vouch for this one. I bake every weekend but when I do this oneeverybody raves about it. Best ever recipe

lahunters, May 14, 2:17am
Bloody good choc.cake

I have to say I've made this cake 3 x this week because it's so good and easy to make! my hubby and son just gave it a go as I watched.so anyone can do it! Yes it is Bloody good too!
Found this one a while ago on this board and it works every time.[/quote]

4crittersnmee, Jun 18, 7:28am
You know the type of cake that you can bake in a roasting dish.Please point me in the right direction for the recipe.Thanks!!!

becca301, Jun 18, 7:47am
Bloody good choc cake Mix in order -2c sugar,2 eggs,1c yoghurt( any flavour),3/4c cocoa,200g melted butter,2t baking soda,1 1/2 t vanilla ess, 1/4 t salt, 3 c self raising flour ( or 3c flour and 3 t BP) 1c black coffee. Mix all together , makes 2 round cakes or a roasting tray full , bake at 180*c till knife comes out clean when tested ( about 30 mins).
Found this one a while ago on this board and it works every time...

lizab, Jun 18, 8:44am
I've been given that exact same recipe from a friend of mine and happened to make it in a roasting tin just this very afternoon. I've iced it with chocolate icing, put 2/3rds of the cake in the fridge and have glad-wrapped and frozen the rest in portions for school lunch boxes. I can defo recommend you make it 4crittersnmee!!! :)
edited to add that I baked mine for an hour though, not 30 mins above?? Maybe you can check if after 30 mins and go from there. Also if you haven't got any yogurt, you can make it with sour cream instead.

4crittersnmee, Jun 18, 7:51pm
It does sound "bloody good".THANKS lovely recipe folk!

just_lookin1, Jun 19, 2:16am
if it goes in a roasting dish doea it rise much? i just wondered cos a roasting is abit larger than 2 round cake tins isn't it? so does it rise like cake or come out more like chocolate square?

4crittersnmee, Jun 19, 7:28am
You know the type of cake that you can bake in a roasting dish.Please point me in the right direction for the recipe.Thanks!

becca301, Jun 19, 7:47am
Bloody good choc cake Mix in order -2c sugar,2 eggs,1c yoghurt( any flavour),3/4c cocoa,200g melted butter,2t baking soda,1 1/2 t vanilla ess, 1/4 t salt, 3 c self raising flour ( or 3c flour and 3 t BP) 1c black coffee. Mix all together , makes 2 round cakes or a roasting tray full , bake at 180*c till knife comes out clean when tested ( about 30 mins).
Found this one a while ago on this board and it works every time.

lizab, Jun 19, 8:44am
I've been given that exact same recipe from a friend of mine and happened to make it in a roasting tin just this very afternoon. I've iced it with chocolate icing, put 2/3rds of the cake in the fridge and have glad-wrapped and frozen the rest in portions for school lunch boxes. I can defo recommend you make it 4crittersnmee! :)
edited to add that I baked mine for an hour though, not 30 mins above! Maybe you can check if after 30 mins and go from there. Also if you haven't got any yogurt, you can make it with sour cream instead.

just_lookin1, Jun 20, 2:16am
if it goes in a roasting dish doea it rise much! i just wondered cos a roasting is abit larger than 2 round cake tins isn't it! so does it rise like cake or come out more like chocolate square!

dollmakernz, Jun 20, 3:00am
I use this one all the time, it's brilliant!
Mels Secret Chocolate Cake
2 Cups of water 3 Cups of caster sugar 250gm butter 1/3 Cup cocoa 1 teaspoon of baking soda 3 Cups of self raising flour 4 eggs lightly beaten Combine water, sugar, butter ,cocoa, & soda in a large pot. Stir over medium heat without boiling until sugar is dissolved. Simmer for 5 minutes uncovered. Cool for 10 minutes. Mix in flour and eggs and beat til smooth. Pour into a lined roasting dish and bake for 50 minutes at 160c. Check at 40 minutes. Stand for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.

dollmakernz, Jun 21, 3:00am
I use this one all the time, it's brilliant!
Mels Secret Chocolate Cake
2 Cups of water 3 Cups of caster sugar 250gm butter 1/3 Cup cocoa 1 teaspoon of baking soda 3 Cups of self raising flour 4 eggs lightly beaten Combine water, sugar, butter ,cocoa, & soda in a large pot. Stir over medium heat without boiling until sugar is dissolved. Simmer for 5 minutes uncovered. Cool for 10 minutes. Mix in flour and eggs and beat til smooth. Pour into a lined roasting dish and bake for 50 minutes at 160c. Check at 40 minutes. Stand for 10 minutes before turning out onto a wire rack.