Butter milk?

obi1kenobi10, Jun 21, 10:25pm
Where can I buy this?We dont have it in our supermarkets, is there a specialty store I can get it from?Or should I just combine, butter and milk?

prawn_whiskas, Jun 21, 10:27pm
its in most supermarkets in the chiller (normally by the yogurt or cheeses) its in a yellow 500ml carton.

And butter milk is not butter and milk.. its a cultured milk.. soured in the same way yogurt is.

obi1kenobi10, Jun 21, 10:34pm
thanks so much. i was looking for a litre bottle, thats why i missed it. i will check again

cookessentials, Jun 21, 10:38pm
Made by Tararua from memory.

245sam, Jun 21, 10:58pm
Yes Pam.....Tararua is correct.

obi1kenobi10, to see what you need to be looking for at the supermarket, have a look at:-
http://www.tararua.net.nz/products/Buttermilk?i=9

Hope that helps.:-))

spongeypud, Jun 21, 11:19pm
Making a recipe that calls for buttermilk? Use this simple substitute, and you won't need to buy any:

•Milk (just under one cup)
•1 Tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice

1. Place a Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup.

2. Add enough milk to bring the liquid up to the one-cup line.

3. Let stand for five minute. Then, use as much as your recipe calls for.

sting9, Jun 21, 11:31pm
can you use low fat milk or does it need to be blue top?

jillian21, Jun 22, 1:38am
Lol butter and milk, do you live in the country, its normally with the plain milk

cgvl, Jun 22, 4:14am
can substitue plain unsweetened yoghurt for buttermilk as well.
True buttermilk is actually very thin and watery as it is a by product of making butter.

obi1kenobi10, Jun 22, 6:14am
lol no i live in the city

obi1kenobi10, Jun 22, 6:15am
wow sounds fattening. everytime i make something for the first time i end up cutting down on the batter the next time i attempt to make it

wheelz, Jun 22, 6:23am
an easy simple way, and you only need ever buy 1 carton of buttermilk. ( make sure it's cultured buttermilk and not nearing it's' use by' date) If you have a yoghurt maker, pour a cup of buttermilk into container, top up with normal milk and leave 12 hours, then refrigerate, you now have 1 litre of buttermilk, when getting low again, repeat process !

prawn_whiskas, Jun 22, 7:38am
Pop that same culture into cream and you get Creme Fraiche

obi1kenobi10, Jun 22, 10:25pm
Where can I buy this!We dont have it in our supermarkets, is there a specialty store I can get it from!Or should I just combine, butter and milk!

prawn_whiskas, Jun 22, 10:27pm
its in most supermarkets in the chiller (normally by the yogurt or cheeses) its in a yellow 500ml carton.

And butter milk is not butter and milk. its a cultured milk. soured in the same way yogurt is.

245sam, Jun 22, 10:58pm
Yes Pam.Tararua is correct.

obi1kenobi10, to see what you need to be looking for at the supermarket, have a look at:-
http://www.tararua.net.nz/products/Buttermilk!i=9

Hope that helps.:-))

spongeypud, Jun 22, 11:19pm
Making a recipe that calls for buttermilk! Use this simple substitute, and you won't need to buy any:

•Milk (just under one cup)
•1 Tablespoon white vinegar or lemon juice

1. Place a Tablespoon of white vinegar or lemon juice in a liquid measuring cup.

2. Add enough milk to bring the liquid up to the one-cup line.

3. Let stand for five minute. Then, use as much as your recipe calls for.

sting9, Jun 22, 11:31pm
can you use low fat milk or does it need to be blue top!

wheelz, Jun 23, 6:23am
an easy simple way, and you only need ever buy 1 carton of buttermilk. ( make sure it's cultured buttermilk and not nearing it's' use by' date) If you have a yoghurt maker, pour a cup of buttermilk into container, top up with normal milk and leave 12 hours, then refrigerate, you now have 1 litre of buttermilk, when getting low again, repeat process !