Cheese roll ups

Page 1 / 2
bridget107, Jan 30, 10:46pm

zupps, Jan 31, 8:29am
We always used unsweetened condensed milk, onion soup mix, crushed pineapple and cheese.yummy!

dons14, Jun 21, 1:37am
Hi, Im thinking of making these for my wee ones birthday party. I found a recipe (cheese, evaporated milk and onion soup) but do I use thick or thin sliced bread? Also - is this how everyone else makes them? Thank you.

dons14, Jun 21, 2:10am
Thanx pericles. I obviously should have gone looking for a thread first. Still didn't find out if you should use thick or thin bread. Im thinking thick would work best so I will try that first.

pericles, Jun 21, 2:12am
I can't remember, have eaten hundreds of them

greenforde, Jun 21, 2:14am
Just to let you know my Grandchildren do not like them and they are 8 & 10 year old boys - generally theylove cheesy thingsotherwise very popular.

rarogal, Jun 21, 2:17am
It says use thin bread, so I guess sandwich!

pericles, Jun 21, 2:17am
use sandwich bread, did a search

dollmakernz, Jun 21, 3:36am
These are really nice and I use thin bread
Cheese Rolls
1 Packet onion soup warmed with 1 cup of water over low heat, add 2 packed cups grated cheese, ½ tsp paprika, ½-1 tsp curry powder.
Cut the 2 long crusts off bread and spread wrong side (lightly) with butter or margarine. Spread the cheese mix on the other side, roll up with the cheese mixture on the inside,place in plastic bag in fridge for 1hr then grill. They are really handy to keep in the freezer for last minute snacks.
Makes appx 2 loaves of bread.

shellz213, Jun 21, 6:05am
Do they freeze okay?If they do, I'm thinking of making a couple of big batches up and then getting them out for school lunch boxes.

anne1955, Jun 21, 6:38am
Hi Yes they freeze well they are a very South Island thing :) I can't find the real nice thin bread like 'we use to get' the sandwich is ok I guess but try and find someone that make nice thin bread.Use to be able to order it..cut sideways...this was great got 2 per slice.Yummy with soup as well..some people I know roll there sandwich bread to get it thinner.A great money maker here for schools etc.Don't forget to mar or butter the tops just a smigin before eating and creamed corn ones are yummy as well....

waswoods, Jun 21, 7:12am
You will get about 4 -5 loaves of bread done with that mixture and they freeze really well

timetable, Jun 21, 7:19am
cheese rolls: grate a kg of chesse add 2 tlbsp of bacon and onion soup mix and then make into a paste with boiling water.spread on sandwich bread and roll into 3 and then grill on both sides till golden and spread either butter or marg on them while hot - yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!!

dons14, Jun 22, 1:37am
Hi, Im thinking of making these for my wee ones birthday party. I found a recipe (cheese, evaporated milk and onion soup) but do I use thick or thin sliced bread! Also - is this how everyone else makes them! Thank you.

dons14, Jun 22, 2:10am
Thanx pericles. I obviously should have gone looking for a thread first. Still didn't find out if you should use thick or thin bread. Im thinking thick would work best so I will try that first.

pericles, Jun 22, 2:12am
I can't remember, have eaten hundreds of them

kernal1, Jun 22, 2:31am
Freeze no problems but wonder about using for school lunch boxes.Normally served straight from under the grill,/toasted and piping hot with butter/marg added. Fresh sandwich bread or pop in microwave for 20sec ( 4 or 5 pieces at a time )wrapped in paper towel. Makes rolling easier.

chrisynz, Jun 22, 4:08am
cheese rolls - use sandwhich slice and dont cut of the crusts

mrsrussie, Jun 22, 4:45am
when people say they freeze these cheesy roll ups, do they mean once they are cooked then reheat them or before they are cooked in the oven

biddy6, Jun 22, 4:54am
No, freeze uncooked.
To make them easier to roll up I always flatten the bread with a rolling pin before spreading the mixture on - also spread a little butter on the edge and press together to help it stay folded whilst cooking

mrsrussie, Jun 22, 5:18am
Thanks, do you use the evapourated milk recipe or the cheese and water?

shellz213, Jun 22, 6:05am
Do they freeze okay!If they do, I'm thinking of making a couple of big batches up and then getting them out for school lunch boxes.

anne1955, Jun 22, 6:38am
Hi Yes they freeze well they are a very South Island thing :) I can't find the real nice thin bread like 'we use to get' the sandwich is ok I guess but try and find someone that make nice thin bread.Use to be able to order it.cut sideways.this was great got 2 per slice.Yummy with soup as well.some people I know roll there sandwich bread to get it thinner.A great money maker here for schools etc.Don't forget to mar or butter the tops just a smigin before eating and creamed corn ones are yummy as well.

timetable, Jun 22, 7:19am
cheese rolls: grate a kg of chesse add 2 tlbsp of bacon and onion soup mix and then make into a paste with boiling water.spread on sandwich bread and roll into 3 and then grill on both sides till golden and spread either butter or marg on them while hot - yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmm!

debudder, Jun 22, 11:34am
cheese rolls are made with thin bread, and are so yummy.