Very Tasty Cheese

kay141, Jun 25, 1:02am
Has anyone found a good sharp (tasty) cheese that I won't have to mortgage the house to buy? I have tried all the tasty cheeses and have just tried Mainland Vintage. That's better but still not as tasty as cheese used to be.

petal1955, Jun 25, 2:45am
Bega strong and bitey tasty is great......but also on the "dear" side

mallee, Jun 25, 2:47am
Mersey Valley, it's fantastic, but sadly, it's encased in gold, if my memory serves me correctly.

trading_gibsons, Jun 25, 2:50am
That was the only cheese I would eat inAustralia in the eighties, as all their cheese tasted like soap

lost-in-oz, Jun 25, 2:55am
Mersey Valley pickled onion cheese on crackers.....hmmmmmm

mallee, Jun 25, 3:02am
Oh stop pleeeaaasssseeee. I haven't tasted all of their products, but boy, the ones I have are fantastic.

kay141, Jun 25, 3:07am
I tried that one and it was very good but not for cooking. Alas the supermarkets down here don't stock it. Must have been a one off.

sue1955, Jun 25, 5:38am
Mainland Vintage is aged up to 24months, but they also do Epicure which is aged up to 36months. Have you ever tried a tasty cheese with ginger cake/loaf? It's beautiful.

norse_westie, Jun 25, 6:52am
+++ to the Mainland vintage. Even with six kids in the house I would rather buy a block of that and really enjoy cheese on toast/crackers/sandwiches than the tasteless stuff that you need more of to get a mild taste.

kay141, Jun 25, 7:46am
I have Mainland Vintage now and it is very little stronger than the socalled tasties. Should it be a lot stronger?

evorotorua, Jun 25, 8:03am
Sue1955, yes ginger loaf and tasty cheese is great. Cheese with fruit cake is good too and also on hot cross buns. I am actually trying to think of something that doesn't go with cheese and about all I can come up with is licorice!

evorotorua, Jun 25, 8:06am
I use an extra tasty vintage or the Pakiri Aged Cheddar from Kapiti BUT it is expensive. You could cook with a normal tasty cheese and just add a bit of the extra tasty for flavour. I agree that the tasty isn't great at the moment. It is quite seasonal even though it shouldn't be. unless I can see some white crusty kind of bits on the outside of the cheese, I don't buy it. You can tell by looking at the block. If it looks like soap it probably is! It's good for some things but not for flavour.

lythande1, Jun 25, 8:13am
Mainland Epicure. Pak n Save don't have it - Countdown does.
200g size only.
Next up in price:
Kapiti Old Southern. Found in the special cheese section, not the general cheese section, Pak n Save do have this sometimes.
I always buy Epicure, mmmmmm. Cheapest of the real aged cheddars, aged up to 36months. Like it should be.

kuaka, Jun 25, 10:39am
If you buy Mainland Tasty and it is anything but tasty and more like soap, then phone and complain.I did a while ago and they confessed they had released a whole batch before it was matured, and it wasn't as tasty as it should have been.They said there had been lots of complaints and they sent a voucher for a replacement.If it isn't tasty, then complain.Only way to make them realise we won't just accept any rubbish.

anne25, Jun 25, 8:17pm
A hint, when buying tasty cheese look for the white lines starting on the cheese. I go through the lot on display and find one that has a good amount showing,

guest, Apr 2, 12:10pm
Jun30Craig Burgess Very cool! I have been consumed with asnikg God to allow me to see all things as He sees them! His ways and thoughts are higher than ours! If we truely saw how much He is crazy in love with us, what would we do? I think we would be consumed with sharing His love to everyone we know and meet!