Beef Bourguignon what red wine to use?

paddypf, Jun 26, 12:07am
What red wine would you use in a crockpot to make beef bourguignon, brand and type please as I don't drink the stuff. Thanks

cookessentials, Jun 26, 1:02am
I use a good quality pinot noir

cookessentials, Jun 26, 1:03am
This is my recipe:
Beef Bourguignon:

1.3kg beef such as chuck, topside or blade steak.
125g pancetta
1 tbsp olive oil
30g butter
24 shallots, peeled.
1 lge onion,chopped finely
1 tbsp plain flour
2 cups red wine
1 cup beef stock ( I use the Campbells)
bouquet garni
1 clove garlic, peeled
1 doz button mushrooms.

Preheat your oven to 150C and cut your beef into large cubes. dice or slice the pancetta thinly. Heat the oil and the butter in a flame proof casserole ( I have the Lodge pre-seasoned cast iron casserole) Brown the shallots gently and then remove and set aside. Add the cubes of beef, a few at a time and brown thoroughly, removing as each is browned. Add the pancetta and chopped onion and cook until soft and slightly coloured. Stir in the flour and cook for one minute. Add the wine, stirring well and then return the meat to the casserole and add beef stock to cover. Season and add garlic clove and bouquet garni. Bring slowly to a simmer ,then cover and cook in oven for 2.5 - 3 hours. While casserole is cooking, gently saute the mushrooms in a little extra butter until lightly cooked. Add these and the shallots in the last 30 mins of cooking. Serves six

cgvl, Jun 26, 1:06am
paddy if you don't drink it then the cheapest bottle you can find is fine. Its all I use otherwise I'd never have any, as it would be drunk.
you can leave it out if you want.

cookessentials, Jun 26, 1:43am
It wont ever taste the same without the wine! beef bourgignon literally translates to beef in red wine.