Bacon Bone Soup

tash195, Jun 19, 6:17am
Just made this added a pket of maggi stock` but now is tasting salty? what can i add to get rid of this plse.

alewis, Jun 19, 6:19am
you could try and put a couple of potatoes whole into it, that can soak up the salt a bit.

dian2, Jun 19, 6:24am
a little sugar can help balance it too.. 1tsp at a time..

mel_nz26, Jun 19, 6:28am
You are supposed to use Kings Pea and ham soupmix, boil up with a hock, (bones are budget and too salty- boil overnight in the crockpo)t- next day take out all the bones, skim the fat off the surface then chuck in mixed vegetables if you want- simmer till tea time.You can make scone balls and putthem on top about hour from tea time= soup and cooked scone dough.

marcs, Jun 19, 7:33am
Kings soup mixes are great but yes I find bacon bones salty as well that is why I use bacon hock or ham bones from the deli. Much better in taste and not so much salt.

janny3, Jun 19, 3:21pm
Spuds & barley soak up the salt.Even macaroni tossed it will soak it up too.

I like the idea of the scone balls!What's your recipe please?

kinna54, Jun 20, 5:41am
I find the king soup mixes very salty, and they have a stock powder in which has quite an artificial taste, and if you have the bacon bones,or hock (I prefer) you have your stock there anyway when you boil the bones. Try adding barley (soak and rinse well first). and potato. I have found it cheaper and better quality to mix my own soup mix, from the bulk selections, they are cheap and also I know what I'm getting. I usually get both types of split peas, asstd lentils, barley, and new world have a good choice,even has the little alphabet noodles.

tich50, Jun 20, 9:08am
Iusuallyputinsplitpeas, barleyandsometimesredlentils.iaddthattomyvegesoupandbaconbones.nevertoosalty.Iusearatioof50% split peas;30%barleyand20% redlentils.

rainrain1, Jun 20, 11:08pm
I used bacon ends and added red lentils, 2 chopped onions, 2 grated carrots, 1 lge grated potato, and 1 lge piece grated pumpkin. a spoonful or two or three of chicken stock powder, cooked up a large cup of frozen peas in water, then whizzed up the peas and their juice and added that to the soup, salt to taste, and.it was simply scrumptious

janny3, Jun 24, 5:34pm
Bacon Bones 1-2kg, (for a dozen ppl) or use 1 Ham Hock
• 1 Lg Onion
• 2 cloves Garlic
• 1 tsp. Ginger (optional)
• 2 C Celery
• 1 Parsnip (optional but adds flavour)
• 1 Swede (optional as above)
• 2 Carrots
• 2-4 Med Potatoes
• 1 Kumara (optional)
• 1 Lg Kamokamo or 3-4 Courgettes/zucchini(ends removed and halve the courgettes)
• Water (to cover bones)
• 2 Tbsp. Dark Soya Sauce
• 2 tsps. beef stock pwdr dissolved in ¼ cup hot water
• 1 Tbsp. Sweet/smoked Paprika (optional)
• 2-3 Bay leaves
• 2 Tbsp. brown sugar
• 1 Can of Tomatoes 400gm (optional for hearty 'ham & tomato' flavour)
• 1 tsp. Nutmeg (optional)
• Salt & Cracked Pepper
Method:

• Place Bacon Bones into lrg pot, cover w/ water pop lid on.
• Bring bacon to boil, simmer.
• While bones are cooking, Peel and dice onions, garlic, ginger & add to bacon bones w/ soya sauce, mixed beef stock & seasonings, sugar, can of tomatoes, peeled, washed, diced celery, parsnip, swede, carrots and simmer for approximately 1 - 2 hours.(Top up water as required so bones and vegetables remain covered).
• Remove cooked bones & scoop the meat off & return the bacon back into the pot.
• Peel, wash and chop potatoes and kumara and add to pot, simmer for approximately 20 or 30 minutes.
• When potatoes are cooked, ladle into soup bowls & serve with crusty bread.

jag5, Jun 24, 10:50pm
pop in large chunks or potato or carrot and cook.....these soak up the excess salt.....remove and discard.

When using bacon bones, or hocks, do not add any further salt or stock until you taste the water......

janny3, Jun 25, 3:08am
You're right.I often omit the salt & stock for that reason.Adding the in extra potatoes, pasta and barley to soak up the excess salt works.