Freezing garlic & ginger

spencer26, Jun 24, 7:43pm
I am new to cooking and am having fun making soups and stews. Many have crushed garlic and/or ginger in the recipe. I was having lots of trouble crushing these ingredients but have now discovered they are available all ready crushed & in jars. However I note they must be used within 4 weeks of opening. My question is, once opened is it OK to freeze spoonful sized portions for later use?

lx4000, Jun 24, 8:10pm
yip, freeze them in ice trays then you can put them in a container ready for when you need them.

I freeze fresh ginger in a bag. When needed I get it out and run a sharp knife over it and it comes off "crushed". Hard to explain how to do it but hold it and run the knife over it, sort of like when peeling but faster and away from you. Hope this helps:)

spongeypud, Jun 24, 10:07pm
I just leave mine in the fridge, never had a problem with them and they are there for months and months.

grandma, Jun 24, 10:17pm
Same here spongeypud.

dezzie, Jun 24, 10:19pm
I freeze fresh ginger and just use a microplane (not a proper one, a supermarket $14 one) and just grate it off from frozen, the garlic in the jar lasts forever in the fridge, I've never actually read the bottle to see about the 4 week thing.

jag5, Jun 24, 10:46pm
I have never noticed that they said to use within 4 weeks LOL.....just leave them in the fridge infinitum....no probs here

lythande1, Jun 24, 10:57pm
For sure. Freeze it all.
I freeze tomato paste, cream, any tins of whatever I have used only half of, everything.
Ice cube trays are good for the ginger/garlic/tomato paste. Freeze, then remove and store in a sealed container or bags and just get a lump out as you need them.

lythande1, Jun 24, 10:58pm
Eventually they grow mould. You probably use it before that's happened.

iman007, Jun 24, 10:59pm
i buy frozen garlic (peeled cloves), 1kg bags for $17 from memory.Keeps for months.

tuii2, Jun 24, 11:05pm
i grow my own ginger and then freeze it i use a fine grater when needed, a lot fresher the brought stufffresh ginger has a very fine skin as it gets older it turns the brown colour you get from the shops

spencer26, Jun 25, 9:49pm
Many thanks to all of you who replied and gave me some worthwhile advice. The support of the Trade Me community is appreciated by this old guy!

wineo, Jun 26, 3:30am
Help re spelling
sounds like (kassundrie)is made with tomatoes