Green Tomatoes..recipes for please ?

Page 1 / 2
homeschoolmum, Mar 18, 2:26am
The children have just pulled out the last of our tomato plants and I have a bucket of green tomoatoes left over ... does anyone haverecipes I can use them in please? Isn't there a green tomato relish or something?

Thank you...

indy95, Mar 18, 2:50am
Homeschoolmum, if you type green tomatoes as the Keyword in the search box on the left of your screen and scroll to Anytime you will find a number of recipes using them.

homeschoolmum, Mar 18, 3:23am
Oh Thank you for that... . I had not noiced that feature. I now have a few recipes to try. Thanks again. God Bless

jag5, Mar 18, 8:56am
Too late now... . but if you have unripe tomatoes on your plants, pull the plants out, hang upside down in a dry airy place, and they will continue to ripen. Strange but true.

hazedaze, Mar 18, 10:03am
Not too late for me. Thankyou for that tip. The way the weather is going, my tomatoes aren't all going to ripen outdoors. Hope
s good for now:-)Thanks again.

motorbo, Mar 18, 8:33pm
oh dont ripen them! m, ake green tomatoe pickle! its the best ever, i have a very very old recipe if your keen, but wont be able to type up until tonight, let me know if you want it

motorbo, Mar 19, 8:03am
ok i wont worry

willman, Mar 19, 8:08am
Ok motorbo, I'm interested, so might someone else, green tomato pickle is great. Love to have you recipe.

motorbo, Mar 19, 6:47pm
x1
you will need to adjust the old measurements as this is a very old recipe, my mum used to make it all the time and its yummy, even anathoth`s brand in the shops is no where near as nice:

Green tomato pickle
6lb green tomatoes
2lb onions
2lb sugar
4 level tablespoos flour
2 level tablespoonsof curry powder
2 oz salt
6 chillies
2 level dessertspoons mustard powder
Water and vinegar

Peel the onions, chop onions and tomatoes small, sprinkle with salt and stand overnight, pour the brine away in the morning. Place the tomatoes and onions in a pan and barely cover with vinegar mix the mustard and curry into a paste with some of the vinegar and add with the sugar and chillies to the tomato/ onion mix. Boil for ½ hour, make a paste with the flour and some water and stir into the pickle, boil for 10 mins.

willman, Mar 19, 6:56pm
Thanks for the green tomato picklerecipe, motorbo.

korbo, Feb 17, 9:35am
I made this last night. it is very nice, but way too sweet for me.
would it be ok to cut the sugar back by one cup.
I have another lot soaking in the salt for tomorrow to make up.
hope someone can help.

greg.n.michelle, Feb 17, 9:47pm
x1
2 kg of green tomatoes sliced and cores removed, 750g chopped onions, 500g cooking apples cored and chopped finely, 1 pint cider vinegar, 4=6 chillies or to taste, 6 fat cloves garlic, 30 g root ginger, 225g raisins , 500g sugar, 2 tsp salt.....Method>>>>-
;> put apples onions and apples into pan with vinegar simmer for 30 min untiil vegand apple soft. prepare chillies removing seeds if wanting a milder flavour .place chilli garlicand ginger in food processor or mortar you need a smmoth paste, add paste to pan with raisins sugar and salt and simmer over low heat for 5 min stirring untol sugar has dissolved. Increase heat to med and continue to simmer the chutney for 30-40 mins until thick. pot into hot jars and cover with vinfgar proof lids.

cgvl, Feb 17, 10:21pm
green tomato and ginger jam is really nice too.
and the recipe maybe on here. Not sure which recipe book I have it in and whether that is one that is packed away for reno's

korbo, Feb 18, 2:00am
making up the relish/pickle now, have cut back by 1 cup sugar, will keepyou informed.
would love the recipe for jam. now that sounds really different.
my mum used to make tomatoes into rasp jam, but you cant buy the king red cordial anymore.
anyone got a good idea for a substitue.

cgvl, Feb 18, 2:15am
Green tomato and ginger jam:
6lb green tomatoes
6lb sugar or what you think if you dont wnat to use this much probably would go for 5½ lb
6 lemons
6oz preserved/crystallised ginger
Into a large preserving pan
slice 3 of the lemons finely (like you would for marmalade) add the tomates either sliced or chopped
Add the juice of the 3 remaining lemons and the ginger.
Stand overnight or for at least 8 hours.
Next day bring to the boil, add the sugar and boil until it will set when tested. Bottle.
It will set fairly quickly.
Sorry it's not in metric but is a really old family recipe

The one with ripe tomatoes and raspberry cordial umm no I haven't got that one nor any idea of a substitute sorry.

kiwigoldie, Feb 18, 2:47am
• Green tomato relish
1 kg green tomatoes
240 g chopped onions
400 g chopped apples
4 C brown/malt vinegar
Approx. 1 ½ C brown sugar
1 ½ C raisins/sultanas
1 ½ tsp mustard powder
1 tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp ground cloves
¼ tsp cayenne pepper
Combine everything in a large saucepan. Stir over moderate heat without boiling until sugar is dissolved. Bring to boil then simmer uncovered but stirring often for 1 ½ hrs. Cool slightly then pour into hot glass jars. Put lids on when cold.

alfredtonroad, Feb 18, 6:40am
what about green fried tomatoes as per the movie.coat tomatoes in cornmeal & fry in grease. sing da blues & be happy.

greg.n.michelle, Feb 18, 7:16am
i love that moive!

korbo, Feb 18, 9:17am
the 1 cup less in the relish turned out lovely, still hated the funny greyish colour, so in went the food colouring.
Made tomato soup with the rest of toms. will put up recipe tomorrow.

homeschoolmum, Mar 18, 2:26am
The children have just pulled out the last of our tomato plants and I have a bucket of green tomoatoes left over ...does anyone haverecipes I can use them in please? Isn't there a green tomato relish or something?

Thank you...

indy95, Mar 18, 2:50am
Homeschoolmum, if you type green tomatoes as the Keyword in the search box on the left of your screen and scroll to Anytime you will find a number of recipes using them.

homeschoolmum, Mar 18, 3:23am
Oh Thank you for that....I had not noiced that feature.I now have a few recipes to try.Thanks again.God Bless

jag5, Mar 18, 8:56am
Too late now....but if you have unripe tomatoes on your plants, pull the plants out, hang upside down in a dry airy place, and they will continue to ripen.Strange but true.

hazedaze, Mar 18, 10:03am
Not too late for me.Thankyou for that tip.The way the weather is going, my tomatoes aren't all going to ripen outdoors.Hope
s good for now:-)Thanks again.

motorbo, Mar 18, 8:33pm
oh dont ripen them! m,ake green tomatoe pickle! its the best ever, i have a very very old recipe if your keen, but wont be able to type up until tonight, let me know if you want it