NZ Masterchef - Braeburn Apple Tart Tatin

Page 1 / 2
firemansgirl, Jun 25, 12:02pm
Well, after seeing tart tatin made loads of times, I watched NZ Masterchef Masterclass a few weeks back, where Josh Emett made a gorgeous looking tatin. How hard can it be, I asked myself. Well....... tonight I decided to make it, and it was absolutely to die for. So darn simple with only 4 ingredients. Perfect. Well okay, maybe my apples weren't all cut into 'perfect' uniform pieces, but it was stunning, smelt fab cooking, and was even better to eat.
Very pleased with myself I was.

wheelz, Jun 25, 1:10pm
good on you... been wanting to try this myself, even bought a pan just to make it...must look up his recipe.

fifie, Jun 25, 8:57pm
Well done you give yourself a pat on the back, i'm going to try it also.

cookessentials, Jun 25, 10:17pm
I use the Emile Henry tarte tatin dish which is from the "flame" series. All I do is pop it on the heat, add caster sugar and melt gently to caramelise. When caramelised,remove from heat, add butter and stir through to melt. place peeled and quartered apples nicely,sprinkle with sugar and knobs of butter. Cover with my lovely sweet buttery pastry and tuck down the sides. Into oven to cook. Put the tarte tatin serving dish over the dish and turn upside down and it's done...couldnt be simpler or tastier. I serve with vanilla bean ice cream.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTCVLNAtWqcsee how it's done.

firemansgirl, Jun 26, 5:51am
Thanks for the feedback; my next one has to be a pear tatin, which I'm going to add stem ginger to, as I love the taste combination........ bye, bye waistline!

peasandlove, Jun 26, 6:04am
I've wanted to try that too, good to know it's as easy as they say

cookessentials, Jun 26, 6:19am
pear would be lovely. Also a savoury leek one would be nice.

fee1965, Jun 26, 7:20am
I make this all the time, it is very easy, although my method differs slightly.
I melt butter and brown sugar in frying pan and get it to a nice medium brown colour.Cut apples into 1/4's and round off the edges, place in the caramel and let these also colour a little.Then level out the fruit and do the pastry thing.

spot20, Jun 27, 1:05am
OMG i should not be in this thread....I am drooling at the thought of apple tarte tatin...unfortunately my mobility is limited and the thing i miss most is my kitchen!!

beaker59, Jun 27, 1:56am
I did one the other day with some tree ripened golden delicious apples which were so sweet and full of flavour (and only 89c Kg cos they were a bit blotchy for being on the tree so long), beat the pants of those Braeburns they sell at the supermarket! Where did all the tasty apples go there used to be a huge variety of them.

My father had an apple orchard years ago in Ashhurst grew these great big red things that tasted like wet cotton wool but had shiny red skins and were what the americans loved to eat the family ate the apples from the trees on the back lawn that never got sprayed and were left on the tree until they fell off which tasted like heaven.

muppet65, Jun 27, 2:02am
hahaha we did the same thing ..had a go and the only thing wrong was like yours the apple wasn't perfect into perfect pieces ...

cookessentials, Jun 27, 2:05am
You can still get lots of tasty apples, usually from growers...not necessarily from the supermarket. I love the tartness on the Braeburn which offsets the sweetness of the caramlised sugar of the tarte tatin.

beaker59, Jun 27, 2:21am
Unfortunately in Auckland we struggle to get good fruit. I do have some favourite orchards I stop into when travelling north or in the BOP.

jimbob37, Jun 27, 3:11am
is there a special dish you need to make this in?

cookessentials, Jun 27, 3:21am
Yes, I guess so. We are lucky that we have a number of good growers here that often sell at our local market or directly "from the gate"

cookessentials, Jun 27, 3:22am
Hi jimbo37...there is a great dish for this dish which makes the process SO easy, however, you can use a pan as some do. I prefer the tarte tatin dish and server that can be used directly on the stove top. You can see it in the video link above.

jimbob37, Jun 27, 3:36am
I have a non-stick pie dish....would that do?

cookessentials, Jun 27, 4:17am
Depending on how deep it is. You wont be able to do the method shown in the youtube clip above though as it will crack.

pickles7, Jun 27, 5:10am
jimbob37 wrote:
I have a non-stick pie dish....would that do?[/quote
If you use your pie dish, put a tray on the shelf under the pie dish. I used an old sponge tin for years, I was lucky and found a very nice cast iron fry pan, I have used just the once. I did need a tray under that. Next time I use that I am going to line it with baking paper.
I am not a great fan of bake ware that chips, cast iron is great. I got mine for $5.00 in a thrift shop, it has a st/st handle as well. I was rapt.
Here is another link.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQGQhD85zxY

cookessentials, Jun 27, 7:40am
The Emile Henry does not chip LOL. It is THE easiest way of making tarte tatin EVER. No lining or anything just do as it shows in the youtube video...no fuss, no mess and as easy as pie

firemansgirl, Jun 27, 8:54am
I have an Emile Henry tagine... I could have used the bottom part ( and might use if I make a huge one lol) but what I DO have is a fabulous WMF stainless steel frypan, so straight from stovetop to oven.......

jimbob37, Jun 27, 9:14am
those Emile Henry ones are rather expensive though - you'd be wanting to make a tarte tatin fairly often!!!

firemansgirl, Jul 3, 2:08am
And.... I have made it again only this time pear and ginger.......just as good.

mkbooks, Jul 3, 7:31am
Don't you go up around Hobsonville/Albany-also farmer's markets

scanner4, Jul 3, 7:35am
Hi can you give me the recipe for this. sounds lovely. thanks