I bought a panasonic breadmaker,sr251,

dinky17, Jun 26, 9:27pm
and I had a few disasters with it in the last few days..turns out that measurements are very very critical,I used a couple of recipes out of the Daly breadbreadmaker cookbook,but these measurements are in cups,,Panasonic are in weight,and they work perfectly,any comments on this please?

cgvl, Jun 27, 12:53am
I would weigh the Daly ones so that you get the measures correct.
For instance I know that if I use the cup in my flour 3 of them weigh the same as 600g flour BUT it is a large cup. If I use the standard cup measure it is about 5 cups.

I'm not familiar with the Daly ones but that is my suggestion.

dinky17, Jun 27, 1:12am
well,I used the proper measuring cup,what would that be?large or standard? then again,,somewhere it might say "the equivelent of cup is........grams,who knows..lol

chchliz, Jun 27, 1:12am
Make sure you are putting the ingredients in in the order they are supposed to go, ie in my Panasonic yeast goes in first but some recipe books suggest a different order which will not give good results

cgvl, Jun 27, 2:09am
dinky my standard measuring cup holds 250mls water, the one in my flour bin holds about 300mls water ( it is the old fashioned breakfast cup) much larger than the standard cup.
generally speaking a standard cup of flour weighs approx 125g, to give you some idea.
If you write out the Daly one that you used, maybe we can give you the equivalent in grams etc so that you can use your Daly ones.

dinky17, Jun 27, 4:29am
thanks CGVL,I had a look in the Daly breadbook and they actually give the weight of one cup as 150 gr. Now,I had a look in the panasonic book and I found 2 virtuallly identical loafs,made with wholemeal flour,and if you turn the daly bread 3 cups into weight,it would have been 450gr. and the same recipe in the Pan.book asks for 350 gr.no wonder it didnt work out,phewww.,,lol...yeast,honey-
,gluten flour...all the same...very confusing...!!! but not any more...I stick to pan book recipes,lol.

kinna54, Jun 27, 6:21am
you need to convert to NZ measures. i had the same probs when I first got my Breville.
Posting for you:
750g loaf: 4 teaspoons red cap yeast, and add 1 TBSP extra of gluten flour.
500g loaf: 2 teasopoons red cap yeast, and add extra 3 teaspoons gluten flour.
Nz cup measures are larger, as are tsp Tbsp measures, can have a liquid difference of I think around 15mls or moreper 1 cup measure.
Makes a huge difference.

dinky17, Jun 27, 7:43am
yes kinna54,I agree with you,cup measurements are very hit and miss,

dinky17, Jun 27, 7:51am
KINNA54in that other thread (sr257) you mention a fruitloaf, but the flour again in cups...what would the weightbe please,as I would like to try making that in my sr251,and for all I know your cup is not the same size as mine...lol..tia.

kinna54, Jun 27, 9:20am
In my NZ supplement with the Breville the recipe for 750gm loaf says 3 cups flour is around 480gms. I normally use my tupperware measuring cups, and always level them off with a knife. Just weighed my tupperware cup of flour and it weighs around 158gms, so the 48ogms would be about right. With the liquid measurement for the water 1 cup is 250ml. My TBSPs I use are 15ml, tsp is 5ml.
Just made a foccacia bread for tonight's tea with those conversions, it was beautiful. PS use warm-hot water in this cold weather, it will activate the yeast better. good luck, in most machines that recipe is awesome.

dinky17, Jun 27, 8:54pm
thanks Kinna,I have taken this on onboard and I understand it all now..lol,cup of water,,,250ml.cup of flour158gr. also the warm water,but with a panasonic when you switch it on,it rests for an hour,I dare say that gives it time to bring the ingredients up to tempature?any way,I made a loaf last night and it turned out magic...thanks very much once again