Old Bread

klc1, Jun 27, 11:00am
A great thing to do with bread that is passed its best (but not mouldy) is to bake it slowly in the oven until it is crisp, then let it cool down and then roll it with a rolling pin on some baking paper or you can use a food processor and you have instant breadcrumbs.Then just store in an airtight container, this is a good money saver.

elliehen, Jun 27, 11:09am
....or cut it into fingers before you bake it, spread it with butter and marmite and eat it :)

madelahaye, Jun 27, 11:12am
or do both..spread honey on par boiled chicken breast..coat with said marmite breadcrumbs..BBQ....mmmmm

kuaka, Jun 27, 11:22am
or make a bread pudding

beaker59, Jun 27, 3:40pm
When I was a kid along time ago Mums used to have jars of those in the kitchen we would eat heaps and loved them we grazed the whole neighbourhood in those days.

hazedaze, Jun 27, 7:58pm
Sage & onion stuffing for freezing into potato scoop size balls.Handy.

susieq9, Jun 27, 8:41pm
Or spread with just vegemite and sprinkle cheese, cut into fingers then bake at a low temperature.

klc1, Jun 27, 9:33pm
We used to do that too, but it was with left-over pastry.

norse_westie, Jun 27, 10:27pm
I throw mine in the freezer till I have a fair bit. This includes crusts which my children have an aversion to.
Then I defrost, toast lightly, spread generously with homemade garlic butter, and place randomly in my oven dish, and slow bake for 20 minutes. The result is very crispy very tasty garlic bread.