Pork Belly recipe please...

Page 1 / 2
bennybullet, Jun 28, 12:01am
I have bought a pork belly to try and have never cooked it before so would love a tasty recipe for my first attempt Thanks

malcovy, Jun 28, 1:00am
I made the above recipe last night and found it needed longer cooking time,it was delicious and very simple.

cookessentials, Jun 28, 1:15am
I have done the Anabel Langbein one, however, I removed it from the milk when just cooked and re-crisped the top under the grill. It was delicious.

tymar, Jun 28, 7:28am
That is my favorite recipie for pork belly mmmmmm

gjnalm, Jun 28, 8:14am
I was at Jo seagars cafe last week & had the pork belly as a lunch special, it was delish!! I believe she teaches the recipe at the cooking school so you could google it.

madelahaye, Jun 28, 11:04am
mmmmm2 x favourites..

1.pork belly stuffed with pesto/piri-piri chillie flakes ..serve with mashed kumara ..roll up belly with pesto n whatvea spices/heat(chilli) ..tie with butchers string, or skewers... roast at ovens max temp (260?) for 20 mins..
back down to 180 odd until juices are clear..let rest ..(grill if skin isn't crispy,depends on oven)

2.thai style crispy pork belly with red coconut milk/cream sauce ...there are a billion recipes ..google is your friend

(annabelle langbien's recipe is a good way to cook the pork for this one) ..curry sauce is basically..redcurry paste,onion,garlic,brown/or palm sugar, lemon/or lime/or kaffir lime leaves, fish sauce/or salt .. n whatever takes your fancy to get that salty,sweet,sour,spicy taste

madelahaye, Jun 28, 11:08am
no 1 ^ works well with pork chops too! ..pesto/salt/chilli in between chops ..skewer together ...

am hungry now! lol

nzl99, Jun 28, 10:09pm
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.2118430760108.2131024.1225939081&l=0423b74f05

Six Hour Pork Belly... very tasty.As you click on each photo it has the recipe/method underneath.

valentino, Jun 28, 10:44pm
I simply cut (cut-score) the skin into squares then cover a nice slab all over (including the meat under) with olive oil, rub in with Marborough Flakey Sea Salt and cook in a shallow dish in the oven at 140C for 2 to 3 hours (depending on size) then remove from oven, allow to rest for 15 minutes then a couple of spoonfuls of clover honey all over the skin and into the cuts, sprinkle some more flakey sea salt over skin then back into the oven under the grill and grill the skin until nice and crispy (some minute explosions will happen) then just cut into squares and serve. When cutting squares, use the skin cuts that one originally scored. Very simple and very nice.
In the summer, one can use the BBQ - skin down and grill skin on an oiled hotplate with a good bit of weight on top of baking tray on top of pork after the initial oven cook.

Did note Nadia's way in NZ Masterchef and had a wee giggle.

gjnalm, Jun 29, 8:14am
I was at Jo seagars cafe last week & had the pork belly as a lunch special, it was delish! I believe she teaches the recipe at the cooking school so you could google it.

madelahaye, Jun 29, 11:04am
mmmmm2 x favourites.

1.pork belly stuffed with pesto/piri-piri chillie flakes .serve with mashed kumara .roll up belly with pesto n whatvea spices/heat(chilli) .tie with butchers string, or skewers. roast at ovens max temp (260!) for 20 mins.
back down to 180 odd until juices are clear.let rest .(grill if skin isn't crispy,depends on oven)

2.thai style crispy pork belly with red coconut milk/cream sauce .there are a billion recipes .google is your friend

(annabelle langbien's recipe is a good way to cook the pork for this one) .curry sauce is basically.redcurry paste,onion,garlic,brown/or palm sugar, lemon/or lime/or kaffir lime leaves, fish sauce/or salt . n whatever takes your fancy to get that salty,sweet,sour,spicy taste

madelahaye, Jun 29, 11:08am
no 1 ^ works well with pork chops too! .pesto/salt/chilli in between chops .skewer together .

am hungry now! lol

nzl99, Jun 29, 10:09pm
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/!set=a.2118430760108.2131024.1225939081&l=0423b74f05

Six Hour Pork Belly. very tasty.As you click on each photo it has the recipe/method underneath.

valentino, Jun 29, 10:44pm
I simply cut (cut-score) the skin into squares then cover a nice slab all over (including the meat under) with olive oil, rub in with Marborough Flakey Sea Salt and cook in a shallow dish in the oven at 140C for 2 to 3 hours (depending on size) then remove from oven, allow to rest for 15 minutes then a couple of spoonfuls of clover honey all over the skin and into the cuts, sprinkle some more flakey sea salt over skin then back into the oven under the grill and grill the skin until nice and crispy (some minute explosions will happen) then just cut into squares and serve. When cutting squares, use the skin cuts that one originally scored. Very simple and very nice.
In the summer, one can use the BBQ - skin down and grill skin on an oiled hotplate with a good bit of weight on top of baking tray on top of pork after the initial oven cook.

Did note Nadia's way in NZ Masterchef and had a wee giggle.

madelahaye, Jul 1, 12:38pm
must be pork belly season!!

draggin this thread up to share with other pork belly thread ..

mmm gonna try your recipe tomorrow fee1965 (other thread)

rainrain1, Jul 2, 5:39am
Valentino, you are my recipe idol, I am making your pork belly for dinner with quick butter fried leeks folded through mashed taties.......i like the delicious simplicity of the recipes of yours I have saved, and they have become favourites.....less is more, as I dislike long recipes...but that doesn't mean to say I won't have a go at a lengthly one once in a blue moon.

valentino, Jul 2, 6:12am
Thank you, but I simply love nice simple easy to do recipes especially when one has a very badly broken heel bone.... can not stand too long on my pins without crutches etc.

Cheers

rainrain1, Jul 2, 6:48am
How did you break your heel, that would not be easy to do. Have you been skydiving?

valentino, Jul 2, 7:37am
Actually, I fell of a stepladder, about a metre high, hmmm the day it happened thought oh bugger - a badly sprained ankle once again, this was a Friday.

All weekend popping panadols and pain got worse, couldn't even walk.
Monday, decided to go to Auck Hosp, xray revealed one smashed heel plus cellualitis (sp) started to set in, stayed in Hosp until Friday and could not do any surgery. Pain eased through Morphine not panadol (apparently overdosed on panadol and they used a reversal thingeee on me re panadol) but now 2 1/2 months later only just starting to walk a little, still painful though.

Someone told me that I was lucky to be alive as the Heel bone is the worse break one can have and is connected directly to the brain via the spinal system.

So be wary especially when one gets older, not a spring chicken even though the mind says otherwise.

Cheers.

P.S. in next post a recipe for Pork Loin similar to the Pork Belly one but something a little extra and is lovely.

valentino, Jul 2, 7:50am
1.5 to 1.8 kg Pork loin boned.
1 Tablespoon olive oil.
2 teasppons sea salt.
6 small apples, washed, dried (such as golden delicious or Granny Smiths).
Preheat oven to 220c. Using a very sharp knife cut and score pork skin at 1cm intervals.
Roll into a roll and tie with cotton cooking string.
Rub skin withoil and sea salt.
Place pork onto a rack withing a roasting dish.
RoAST FOR 30 MINUTES.
Reduce heat to 200C and roast for a further 30 minutes.
Lightly coat apples with oil and then season well with salt and pepper.
Arrange apples with pork and roast for a further 30 minutes, or until pork is just cooked through and skin is golden and crispy.
Here, remove apples to serving dish but allow room for pork to be placed with them. One can drizzle the apples with some honey sauce from pan.
Now, if the pork needs a bit more crisping, crackling effect then add a bit more sea salt to the skin, and under the grill, grill and roll the pork to suit until one is happy.
One could also run some clover honey into the pork whilst being rested prior to serving.

Oh on that serving dish, pork could be left whole or sliced.

I also use same recipe for a BBQ rotisseried pork but have apples when timing is right in a foil lined tray directly under the pork to catch the drips whilst that last cooking cycle. Drips will be from the honey that can be basted on the pork.
Just be wary that the BBQ tray will get hotter than the oven so not as long in the BBQ.
Cheers.

rainrain1, Jul 2, 8:17am
Your poor heel, good that you are on the mend though, thanks for the recipe I will keep it for another time.Hope you keep on bettering and bettering,

madelahaye, Jul 2, 12:38pm
must be pork belly season!

draggin this thread up to share with other pork belly thread .

mmm gonna try your recipe tomorrow fee1965 (other thread)

rainrain1, Jul 3, 5:39am
Valentino, you are my recipe idol, I am making your pork belly for dinner with quick butter fried leeks folded through mashed taties.i like the delicious simplicity of the recipes of yours I have saved, and they have become favourites.less is more, as I dislike long recipes.but that doesn't mean to say I won't have a go at a lengthly one once in a blue moon.

valentino, Jul 3, 6:12am
Thank you, but I simply love nice simple easy to do recipes especially when one has a very badly broken heel bone. can not stand too long on my pins without crutches etc.

Editing to add, with some longer recipes is because of all the natural flavours like garlic, ginger, peppers, herbs and all those other special veges - I can sit at the table, preparing these and have these ready to go.

Another way of keeping all simple.

Cheers

rainrain1, Jul 3, 6:48am
How did you break your heel, that would not be easy to do. Have you been skydiving!