Wanted - dark, moist Chocolate cake - never fail!

Page 1 / 2
jillian21, Jun 29, 1:03am

cruzin1, Jun 29, 1:08am
this is the bestest recipe ever, dark and rich, it is now my staple choc cake, and soooo easy

1 ¾ C plain flour
2 C sugar
¾ C cocoa
2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
2 tsp coffee dissolved in 1 C hot water
2 tsp vanilla essence
1 C milk
2 eggs
½ C oil

Mix altogether and bake 180 for 1hr

muppet65, Jun 29, 1:08am
I have a great one hang on ill cut and paste it
annndddddd...its soooooo easy too

muppet65, Jun 29, 1:13am
Chocolate Mud Cake
2 Cups Flour 

2 Cups Sugar 

2/3 Cup Cocoa 

2/3 Cup Oil 

1 Cup Milk 

2 tsp Baking Soda 

1 tsp Baking Powder 

2 eggs 

½ tsp salt 

1 tsp vanilla essence
1 Cup of warm black coffee with (2 tsp coffee)
Put all ingredients in bowl and beat for 2 minutes then stir in coffee and cook in a 22cm cake tin at 180 degrees for 1 hour.

muppet65, Jun 29, 1:14am
I used self raising flour the other day by mistake as well as all the raising agents and wasn't sure what would happen but, my partner took it to school for the other teachers and it was raved about, he said it was so nice ...

norse_westie, Jun 29, 1:20am
Mine is known by the family as the: Pure Heaven Chocolate Cake. And you simply cannot mess it up - unless you over mix it. (Just stir briefly).

1 1/2 cup plain flour
1 cup sugar
1/3 cup cocoa
pinch of salt
1 teaspoon of baking soda.
Stir together, make a well in the centre and add:
1 tablespoon cider vinegar (actually any vinegar is fine)
1 teaspoon vanilla essence
1/2 cup oil
1 cup cold water (add instant coffee if you want a more adult flavour).

Stir, pour into tin and bake in moderate oven for 20 mins or so.

Its moist, dark, rich and very nice. Not sickly. For kids lunches I sprinkle on icing sugar, but otherwise I put a chocolate ganache on it - and for extra special occasions I split it through the middle and put a layer of ganache in there too.

jillian21, Jun 29, 1:23am
1/3 c cocoa? not much at all

rozke, Jun 29, 1:48am
l got this recipe offthis site
1 3/4 cups flour, 2 cups brown sugar, 3/4cup cocoa, 2 tsp baking soda, 1tsp baking powder, pinch salt, 2 eggs 1/2 cup oil, 1 can coca cola, 1 cup milk 1tsp vanilla essence.
Sift dry ingredients into bowl.Add wet ingredients and beat on medium till combined.Line tin with baking paperBake 180 C350F for 45 minutes. Mixture very wet but the best chocolate cake l have ever made**** 4 stars
Ganache;
150g dark chocolate and 1/2 cup cream.

stells3, Jun 29, 2:10am
The one on the back of the block of butter is nice.Called something like Chocaholic chockie cake.I think it is the Mainland brand.

norse_westie, Jun 29, 3:02am
Well I use dutch cocoa so its much richer, but thats what the recipe says, and it is very nice, very chocolatey even without dutch cocoa.

muppet65, Jun 30, 12:47am
I spotted that one last week and saved the recipe, so thanks for that

mallee, Jun 30, 12:53am
I always have an icing problem, it invariably runs off the cake. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong???

mallee, Jun 30, 12:54am
norse_westie, do you sift the dry ingredients???

muppet65, Jun 30, 1:44am
perhaps dont ice is right away, leave the mixture so it gets tacky...just a guess

bedazzledjewels, Jun 30, 1:51am
I've seen this thread a few times and it reminds of the chocolate cakes my grandmother used to make. They were virtually black and tasted incredible. I'd love to know how she got them like that. My mother used to reckon that Nanna tipped in a whole box of cocoa each time.
Wouldn't it be interesting to be able to chat to some of our long deceased relatives about the foods they cooked and ate.

ellie04, Jun 30, 2:12am
Deep Dark Choc Cake - gorgeous rich cake and so easy to make! I cut it in half and put choc ganache in the middle with some sliced strawberries!

2 cups sugar
1 ¾ cups all purpose flour
¾ cup cocoa
1 ½ teaspoons baking powder
1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
2 eggs
1 cup milk
½ cup vegetable oil (canola is good) olive oil is a bit strong tasting
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

180 or 170 fan forced oven. Combine dry ingredients. Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla and beat for 2 minutes with electric mixer. Then stir in boiling water. The mixture will be very runny. Bake for approx 50 mins or until skewer comes out
clean. Suits a large round or square cake tin.

norse_westie, Jun 30, 2:20am
No. I've never sifted anything ever, even when the recipe says to. I dont have a sifter. ;)

norse_westie, Jun 30, 2:21am
What sort of icing?

jphs, Jul 2, 1:22am
Made this last night and used Rice Bran oil and plunger coffee. Is easy and yummy. Only just cooked so moist and beautifully dark. Iced it this morning with ganache made with 68% cocoa chocolate. Myohmy....

barmanmyk, Jul 2, 1:55am
Cake not cooled before icing?

muppet65, Jul 4, 12:36am
yes it looks like their family recipes are coming to light after all these years, my choc cke is nice and black in colour (and I don't mean burnt hahaha), it would be great to have a conversation or two

minnie19, Jul 4, 7:57am
This has been my fav chocolate cake recipe for years.Never fails and sooooo yummy! Stays moist for days too which is a bonus!

firemansgirl, Jul 4, 11:08am
CRUZIN1 - thank you, thank you thank you!! I have made your cake, it's fantastic, soooo rich and beautiful and almost black in colour.And extra easy to make. Just the best chocolate cake I have made in a long, long time.

jillian21, Jun 29, 1:23am
1/3 c cocoa! not much at all

mallee, Jun 30, 12:53am
I always have an icing problem, it invariably runs off the cake. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong!