Mushroom soup

skata, Jun 29, 2:16am
I just made a pot of mushroom soup, tried to make it like the lady on TV does. Mine doesn't look anything like hers, smells revolting and watery, what can I do to doctor it up and make it a bit thicker?

margyr, Jun 29, 2:23am
do you have any potato flakes?? these thicken nicely. Or just cook and mash some more spuds.

245sam, Jun 29, 2:46am
Does the soup just need thickening or how does it taste, skata?:-))

skata, Jun 29, 2:53am
Both I think 245sam.

245sam, Jun 29, 3:08am
In that case skata, the easiest solution IMO would be to add a packet (e.g. Maggi or Pam's) of mushroom soup mix if you have it to hand - the soup mix will both thicken and add flavour.

Hope that helps -I can sense your disappointment with the result you have at the moment, but well done for trying to make a delicious homemade soup.Maybe next time you'd like to try this recipe which is always a popular one in our house.....
CREAM OF MUSHROOM SOUP
2 cups freshly chopped or thinly sliced mushrooms – I use approximately 260g
2 tbsp (30g) butter
approximately 2 tbsp grated or finely chopped onion – 1 small onion
3 tbsp flour
2 tsp chicken stock powder
pinch (⅛ tsp) white pepper
2 cups milk

In a 2 litre casserole dish or batter bowl place the butter and onion.Cover and microwave on100% power for3 minutes.Stir and check the onion – it should be softened – cook for a further 1-2 minutes if necessary.Add the flour and mix well, then cook on100% powerfor1-2 minutes.Stir in the chicken stock powder, pepper and half of the milk.Cook on100% powerforabout 2 minutes, until the sauce has boiled.Stir well, then add the mushrooms and cook on70% powerfor6 minutes, stirring once, after 3 minutes.Blend in the remaining milk and microwave for a further 1-2 minutes, or until hot.:-))

skata, Jun 29, 3:11am
Thanks for that 245sam, will nip down to the local dairy now and get a packet of soup.I've been trying different soups to experiment on the family with this winter.Favourite so far is bacon, leek and potato.