Shortbread

seller4, Mar 17, 10:53pm
For many years I have used the Edmonds cook book recipe for shortbread and always with success. However the last 2 attempts have been failures with the mix far too dry to knead or roll out. My flour was fresh and I measured the dry ingredients accurately. Can any-one offer an explanation please?

winnie231, Mar 17, 11:56pm
A few people commented recently on butter quality affecting their baking - maybe this has something to do with it?

alebix, Mar 18, 12:23am
I use the same recipe and have had the same issue.
I add a bit of milk to help knead it and the biscuits come out lovely and creamy.

seller4, Mar 18, 7:38pm
Thank you both for that,

lizzie2000, Mar 20, 10:52pm
I add a little bit of lemon juice

racingroo, Mar 21, 12:02am
Does anyone have another easy recipe to try other than the Edmonds one? I would like to give it a try, never made before.

runeaholics, Mar 21, 2:02am
Did you keep your butter nice and cold?

I've got a shortbread recipe - I'll go get it!

300g butter
200g sugar
1/2 tsp salt
45g cornflour
25g rice flour
420g flour (standard)

1) Lightly cream sugar salt and butter together.
Do not over-cream.

2) Add half of the dry ingredients and continue creaming.

3) Fold in leftover dry ingredients with a spatula until combined. Make sure you bring the mixture at the very bottom to the top.
Do not over mix it! ! ! This is very important! ! ! As soon as it is combined LEAVE IT BE!

4) Wrap in Gladwrap, press it nice and flat so it cools faster. Chill in the fridge for at least 30 mins.

5) Lightly knead the paste and roll out to a thickness of about 1cm.

6) Cut into 3cm x 8xm thick fingers and place onto a baking tray (with baking paper).

7) Dock with a fork and place it on the bench or in the fridge to rest for another 20 mins.

8) Bake in an oven at 170C until lightly golden. Approx 25mins.
Remember to turn the tray halfway to ensure even colouring.

9) Place onto a wire rack to cool.

seller4, Nov 20, 5:54pm
Yay, success at last. I used your tip and added a little bit of milk. Perfect.
Thank you