Anywhere in NZ to buy canned pumpkin puree?

Page 1 / 2
kitty1983, Jun 27, 11:00am
x1
it's so hard to slice up a pumpkin... would love to find it canned

skippie1, Jun 27, 11:33am
I am sure that Watties make pumpkin in a can.Or pre cook the pumpkin in the microwave and the skin comes of easier.

roys351, Jun 27, 2:45pm
why would you want to when at the moment pumpkin cheap and you dont have the preservatives in it yukkkk

beaker59, Jun 27, 3:36pm
x1
Its in the aisle next to frozen toast.

try the soup aisle why use Puree when theres heaps of preprepared pumkin soups some even in plastic bags so you don't need a pot just snip the corner microwave and pour straight into the bowl. Have it with your reheated frozen toast.

cookessentials, Jun 27, 10:03pm
x3
what were you wanting it for kitty?
The pumpkin loaves I make called for canned pumpkin ( the recipe was from an American friend of my Mum's) All I do is cut pumpkin into large chunks...keep the skin on, pop it into a shallow glass baking dish, add a little water, cover with gladwrap and microwave about 8 mins. When cool enough to handle, just slice off the skin and mash or throw it in the whizz.

prawn_whiskas, Jun 27, 10:23pm
I feel your pain! Best way - if you don't have a man around to cut it for you - is to buy a piece (1/4) already cut from the supermarket.. microwave it until its soft and the skin will peal off, then you can puree it for what ever purpose you wish.

muppet65, Jun 27, 11:07pm
or roast it first

pheebs1, Jun 28, 12:43am
easy to do yourself a whole pumpkin buy cutting the centre stalk peice out deseeding replace lid and bake whole thenpeeland puree
i think as its so cheap to do yourself you will be hard pressed to find pureed pumpkin

beaker59, Jun 28, 3:36pm
x1
Its in the aisle next to frozen toast.

try the soup aisle why use Puree when theres heaps of preprepared pumkin soups some even in plastic bags so you don't need a pot just snip the corner microwave and pour straight into the bowl. Have it with your reheated frozen toast.

cookessentials, Jun 28, 10:03pm
x1
what were you wanting it for kitty!
The pumpkin loaves I make called for canned pumpkin ( the recipe was from an American friend of my Mum's) All I do is cut pumpkin into large chunks.keep the skin on, pop it into a shallow glass baking dish, add a little water, cover with gladwrap and microwave about 8 mins. When cool enough to handle, just slice off the skin and mash or throw it in the whizz.

prawn_whiskas, Jun 28, 10:23pm
I feel your pain! Best way - if you don't have a man around to cut it for you - is to buy a piece (1/4) already cut from the supermarket. microwave it until its soft and the skin will peal off, then you can puree it for what ever purpose you wish.

kitty1983, Jun 29, 7:08am
prawn_whiskas good idea!
cookessentials i'm gonna make pumpkin pie. i used to get my mum to cut it for me but now that i live on my own i'm concerned about killing myself in the process. i'm pretty unco~ but i shouuuld be able to do large chunks i think! so will give the microwave idea a try!

dezzie, Jun 29, 7:25am
x1
kitty, you can just put a whole pumpkin in a supermarket bag, tie the top a bit so it won't fly out, then throw it hard onto the concrete path, it cracks it all and makes it a lot easier to cut up, and the bag keeps all the bits together if it does fly apart.

uli, Jun 29, 8:18am
Mine are much harder than the supermarket ones, as they are storage pumpkins, you basically cannot peel them - so I just use an ax on them, chopped in half and de-seeded you can either steam then, then spoon out for soup or bake them and spoon out for dinner.

I usually freeze packets of pumpkin if there are leftovers - which then makes a lovely quick meal if you need one. Nicer than canned by a long shot!

greerg, Jun 29, 8:29am
x1
American colleagues swear that proper pumpkin pie has to be made from canned pumpkin and that our pumpkin is not the same.I have looked for cans in Christchurch to test this theory but not even Johnson's who used to be in Colombo Street had it.

sevenge, Jun 29, 8:40am
try butternut pumpkin, so easy to peal and is yummy

m41, Jun 29, 10:36am
x1
I make pumkin pie and i buy mine from martha`s backyard in st helliersits an all american/canadian store where you can buy most things missed buy us foreigners ;
The pumkin here tases different in the pie , the make is Libbys thats like watties to you guys ,but better.

m41, Jun 29, 10:37am
you can acess the shop mt wellington end too.

enzedda, Jun 29, 10:42am
You can put a whole pumpkin in the microwave.I do this all the time.Just pierce the skin a bit so it won't explode.I do them about 20 mins.Then you let them cool a bit and they are very easy to chop and peel.They are not fully cooked usually so you just carry on once they are chopped cooking as you like.

jessie981, Jun 29, 10:46am
Mmmm. Never heard of & definitely wouldn't buy if it was available!

texastwo, Jun 29, 10:54am
Story goes you take a whole pumpkin, Make a circular cut around the stalk end to remove it whole. Pull out all the soft insides and seeds. Fill it up with lots of raw sugar, seal it all up again with your stalk "cork" leave it for a couple of months and hey.....Pumpkin rum!!

winnie231, Jun 29, 11:07am
x1
One of my good friends in Golden Bay is from Canada. She is a vegetarian & bakes, eats, grows, drinks, preserves & dries food in as natural a state as possible :)
However ....
she has confessed she looks forward to her trip home each year as pumpkin pie is not pumpkin pie without canned pumpkin!
Apparently it's just not the same here and this is from a person who would very rarely need a can opener!

elliehen, Jun 29, 11:45am
Whole pumpkins are just for Halloween in North America :)

suzanna, Jun 29, 12:16pm
My first impression was that there were a lot of clothes in there.I didn’t expect that.I thought it was mainly a grocery store, but that wasn’t the case.I didn’t stop to look at the clothing, though – we went right for the food!There was mac & cheese, American barbecue sauce, American ketchup, canned pumpkin, angel food cake mix, and so much more.The prices were high, of course, but that was no surprise.I would love to go back again and really peruse their shelves, but as the lady told me, they were a bit low on supplies and wouldn’t be expecting another shipment for 2-3 weeks.If you want, you can email them at sandy{at}marthasbackyard{dot}c-
o{dot}nz, and they’ll let you know when a new shipment arrives.

From http://www.practicallyperfectblog.com/marthas-backyard/

kitty1983, Jun 30, 2:21am
m41 and suzanna oooh awesome! so glad to hear about that shop!