Can I Substitute Butter in Baking?

Page 1 / 2
donnabeth, Jun 15, 10:14pm
Yesterday I bought a 1kg tub of spread for less than the price of 500g of butter. I realise butter is the superior product for baking, but for everyday things like fruit cake, loaf, slices or biscuits, can I use the spread instead?

I find myself buying biscuits because they are so much cheaper than home made, although we consume less because they do have awful additives. I'm sure packet biscuits don't use butter.

grolaunshucar, Jun 15, 10:32pm
yeah u can but the taste not the same since butter has always been the king of all spreads I think.

nzl99, Jun 15, 10:58pm
Double check that the spread is able to be used for cooking and baking.Some are suitable, some aren't.Should say on the packet or phone them.

mackenzie2, Jun 15, 11:00pm
I am starting to substite it, butter is just so expensive, the only difference I can tell is my baking seems lighter and fluffier... Don't notice any taste difference

zappi, Jun 15, 11:02pm
We use marjarinie/spread all the time in baking as our son is dairy free.We cant taste the difference and I havn't had a problem just substituting the same amount, getting the same baking result so far.

nzl99, Jun 15, 11:06pm
Before cooking I can notice the difference... but after not so much.Was making large batches of red velvet cakes yesterday... relieved they turned out just fine as there was 2 C of flora in there... haha

donnabeth, Jun 16, 8:28am
This is Pams spread which is harder than the dearer margarines and made me think I could use it as a substitute.
Like all cooking, the quality of the ingredients does make a difference, but for ordinary everyday lunch-box and snacking I'd like to try the cheaper version. If the taste and texture are still ok then I can save money without denying the family some luxury. So much has had to be dropped from my shopping list but the price is still up there. Admittedly it was probably unhealthy, but we only used it as a little treat. Even bananas are now cut into 3 instead of one each.

sultana0, Jun 16, 8:30am
My scones turn out better with marg than when I use butter... but I do spread butter on the finished product haha

juliewn, Jun 16, 2:35pm
Yes.. margarine works well in baking.. I've used it for cakes, slices, biscuits, etc..etc.. without any taste difference to when making the same recipes with butter..

donnabeth, Jun 16, 10:14pm
Yesterday I bought a 1kg tub of spread for less than the price of 500g of butter. I realise butter is the superior product for baking, but for everyday things like fruit cake, loaf, slices or biscuits, can I use the spread instead!

I find myself buying biscuits because they are so much cheaper than home made, although we consume less because they do have awful additives. I'm sure packet biscuits don't use butter.

nzl99, Jun 16, 10:58pm
Double check that the spread is able to be used for cooking and baking.Some are suitable, some aren't.Should say on the packet or phone them.

mackenzie2, Jun 16, 11:00pm
I am starting to substite it, butter is just so expensive, the only difference I can tell is my baking seems lighter and fluffier. Don't notice any taste difference

zappi, Jun 16, 11:02pm
We use marjarinie/spread all the time in baking as our son is dairy free.We cant taste the difference and I havn't had a problem just substituting the same amount, getting the same baking result so far.

nzl99, Jun 16, 11:06pm
Before cooking I can notice the difference. but after not so much.Was making large batches of red velvet cakes yesterday. relieved they turned out just fine as there was 2 C of flora in there. haha

kinna54, Jun 17, 4:22am
I use marg all the time, (however I am choosy about brands, Meadowlea one of the better ones, only one I won't use is the budget or golden harvest) I often used the big 1kg spreads in baking when I was catering. Go for it, especially in biccies, slices, pastry, loaves, puddings and scones,(def better in scones) only possible difference is the result maybe a little "shorter" as in slightly crustier. I have never really noticed a major difference. For larger cakes, possibly use butter for a different texture but I make very successful banana cakes, hummingbird cakes, date loaves and choc cakes with marg.
Great when every dollar counts.

elliehen, Jun 17, 5:44am
Me too ;)Why waste it where you can't taste it??

kinna54, Jun 17, 6:31am
Agreed. Rather put the butter on the top! One of the few things I actually love butter on!

donnabeth, Jun 17, 8:28am
This is Pams spread which is harder than the dearer margarines and made me think I could use it as a substitute.
Like all cooking, the quality of the ingredients does make a difference, but for ordinary everyday lunch-box and snacking I'd like to try the cheaper version. If the taste and texture are still ok then I can save money without denying the family some luxury. So much has had to be dropped from my shopping list but the price is still up there. Admittedly it was probably unhealthy, but we only used it as a little treat. Even bananas are now cut into 3 instead of one each.

sultana0, Jun 17, 8:30am
My scones turn out better with marg than when I use butter. but I do spread butter on the finished product haha

wheelz, Jun 17, 9:52am
hmmm.... might have a go at substituting too

juliewn, Jun 17, 2:35pm
Yes. margarine works well in baking. I've used it for cakes, slices, biscuits, etc.etc. without any taste difference to when making the same recipes with butter.

kinna54, Jun 18, 4:22am
I use marg all the time, (however I am choosy about brands, Meadowlea one of the better ones, only one I won't use is the budget or golden harvest) I often used the big 1kg spreads in baking when I was catering. Go for it, especially in biccies, slices, pastry, loaves, puddings and scones,(def better in scones) only possible difference is the result maybe a little "shorter" as in slightly crustier. I have never really noticed a major difference. For larger cakes, possibly use butter for a different texture but I make very successful banana cakes, hummingbird cakes, date loaves and choc cakes with marg.
Great when every dollar counts.

elliehen, Jun 18, 5:44am
Me too ;)Why waste it where you can't taste it!

niffer13, Jun 18, 9:07am
Is kremelta suitable for substuting?

wheelz, Jun 18, 9:52am
hmmm. might have a go at substituting too