Focaccia Bread

Page 1 / 2
beebs, Jun 14, 7:53pm
Hi guys, what do you put on top of your focaccia bread

ashanti, Jun 14, 9:22pm
Usually sea salt, and brush with olive oil whilst still very hot to give it a nice gloss.

nzl99, Jun 14, 11:33pm
I often use mine as 'pizza bread'... fab for tearing up at get togethers.

http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.1568087081860.2076266.1225939081&l=b0065520a4

nzl99, Jun 14, 11:34pm
Love it with caramelized onion and jarlsberg cheese too... just melted.. mmmm...

kinna54, Jun 15, 12:38am
Freshly ground rock salt, assortment of chopped herbs (fresh if I have them) like rosemary, basil, oregano, marjoram, sometimessliced olives.(or there is a masterfoods italian range of herbsthat you can sprinkle on)
I often use my foccacia recipe to make a farmhouse cheese and bacon bread, (change the olive oil to just a canola or vege oil) top with cheese and bacon, can also add a bit of cheese, and a bacon flavouring to the dough as processing.

febes1, Jun 15, 12:52am
I add minced garlic to the olive oil before I brush it over along with some ground rock salt... or italian herbs as above.
Love making F.Bread whenever we have pasta dishes..makes a meal out of a simple dish.

I will be taking note of some of these ideas tho..yum pizza bread!

carolyn20, Jun 15, 1:56am
usually olive oil, sliced olives, parsley and rock salt.I made this topping recently which is unusual but tasted great: Stud top of dough with grapes (300g seedless and halved).Sprinkle over with combined 50g caster sugar/2tsp fennel seeds.

beebs, Jun 15, 2:15am
thanks everybody, gee your pictures on facebook made my mouth water

purplegoanna, Jun 15, 2:46am
has anyone got the recipe of the one that rick stein made while overseas somewhere, they poured a cup of olive oil over the top!!! of the focaccia bread before cooking

nzl99, Jun 15, 5:22am
I do a 50/50 mix of water and evoo ontop of mine.shake together in a little jar... then pour over.It really makes it.

allurs, Jun 15, 5:34am
Would someone please post a recipe of the bread so i can get that right to start with thanks

purplegoanna, Jun 15, 9:51am
that sounds like it care to share :)

nzl99, Jun 15, 10:54am
Absolutely.If you click on the link to take you to my albums... then as you are looking through each of the photos (clicked to enlarge them) recipes/methods/ingreds/descri-
ption etc are usually underneath... https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pid=31599973&l=cc249cac7c&id=1225939081

I have an old salsa jar that is at least double the size of the little masterfoods pesto jar in that pic, that I will use for my bread if I'm feeling rich (evoo is expensive!).... and it always comes out deeee-vinely good.

I usually throw this in the dough cycle of the breadmaker... does a great job of kneading.

kinna54, Jun 16, 5:45am
I always put olive oil over the top of mine before cooking. I dimple the dough with my spotlessly clean knuckles, oil the dough, then apply the herbs,seasonings and slicedolives if using.

kiwibubbles, Jun 16, 8:49am
umm what is evoo?

beebs, Jun 16, 8:29pm
can you do it without a bread maker, and how?

beebs, Jun 16, 9:19pm
extra virgin olive oil

alljays, Aug 13, 9:32pm
Wow Tried your recipe over last couple of days. Imhooked.Lovely bread. And pizza base.I use my kenwood with the dough hook as I do not have a bread maker.A lovely light bread.My daughter was asking me If she could make focaccia bread and I found your recipe.I made it when she was at school and my daughter has since made it also.Thumbs up :)

blt10, Aug 13, 10:09pm
A nice size bread from 3 Cups of flour in the link, and looks a real treat.

splitty, Aug 13, 11:15pm
Mmmmm yum, I know what I am making for dinner

alljays, Aug 14, 12:32am
Just had left over pizza for lunch and it wasnt even hard and crusty. Yumm

dovecottage, Sep 1, 8:03pm
does anyone have a recipe for a nice focaccia bread that has a more oily texture then normal bread!

bev00, Oct 4, 10:51am
Potato Focaccia
Makes one 8-inch focaccia

1 medium Yukon Gold potato
2 cups all-purpose flour, plus more as needed
1 teaspoon fresh yeast
A pinch of sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons salt, plus more for salting water
2/3 cup warm water
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 pint of cherry or grape tomatoes, sliced crosswise
1 to 2 teaspoons dried oregano
Coarse sea salt

1. Wash the potato and place in a small saucepan along with enough water to cover the potato by an inch. Place the pot over high heat, covered, and bring to a boil. Add a handful of kosher salt to the water. Simmer until the potato is tender when pierced with a knife, around 20 minutes. Drain the potato and let it cool. Peel the potato and mash finely with a fork. Set aside.

2. Put the yeast in a large mixing bowl along with a pinch of sugar. Add the warm water in a thin stream over the yeast, using a fork to help dissolve the yeast entirely. Let the mixture stand for a few minutes.

3. Pour the flour into the yeast water and stir with a fork, then add the mashed potato and the salt. The dough will be relatively thick and shaggy. Use the fork to incorporate the potato into the flour. Add 2 tablespoons of olive oil and begin to knead the dough by hand. It will come together quite quickly. Knead against the bowl for a minute or so, until it is relatively smooth. Add more flour if the dough is too sticky to handle. Form the dough into a ball and let it rest, covered with a kitchen towel, in the bowl for an hour.

4. Cut a piece of parchment paper to fit the bottom of an 8-inch cake pan. Using your fingertips, gently release the puffy and risen dough from the bowl and place it in the cake pan. Gently tug and pat it out so that it fits the pan. Cover the top of the focaccia with the tomato halves, distributing them evenly. Sprinkle the oregano and a large pinch of coarse salt over the tomatoes, drizzle with the remaining tablespoon of olive oil, and let it rest for another hour.

5. While the focaccia is resting, preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Place the cake pan in the oven and bake for 40 minutes, rotating the pan halfway through. Let cool on a rack for 20 minutes before removing the focaccia from the pan.

nzl99, Oct 4, 5:23pm
Add the emulsion of water and oil before cooking as above) and it will come out beautifully. you can always drizzle over more oil after cooking and still warm.

nzl99, Oct 6, 5:25am
Looks great!