Gluten free bread recipes anyone?

missyt1, Jun 12, 9:07am
5 months ago I stopped eating wheat and now I'd like to explore making gluten free breads, pizza bases, muffins, piklets etc.Can anyone hlep with recipes and where to get the ingredients from would be great. Cheers everyone, Missy:)

dawnay, Jun 12, 9:18am
I have tried 3 different recipes for gluten free bread.The first was a breadmaker one from off TM recipes.It was okay but had an eggy taste to it, had about 3 eggs in it.The 2nd was from my breadmaker book, it was also okay, but not one I would do a lot.The third was by far the best, it is from The New Zealand Bread Book by Simon and Alison Holst and can be done in a breadmaker or by hand.It is really nice and uses only one egg and an egg white, which makes it far less 'eggy' tasting.
I recommend it.

dawnay, Jun 12, 9:22am
And as far as ingredients go, you will find most of them at the supermarket, but try Bin Inn also.You will need Guar gum or Xanthan gum for GF bread and most supermarkets have those also.I only use Guar gum as it is cheaper than Xanthan gum.

trading_gibsons, Jun 12, 9:35am
Can I suggest whatever recipe you decide on, to put a teaspoon of Guar Gum in with it as it acts like gluten & makes the bread less crumbly & more chewy/stretchy ,it can be bought in most health shops.

missyt1, Jun 12, 10:59am
Thanks for the replies. The Guar Gum. How will I know how much of it to put in the recipe?

missyt1, Jun 12, 11:02am
The Guar Gum sounds like a good idea. I've tried a few of the supermarket loaves and find they are quite crumbly. Not nice in my opinion.