If a recipe has yogurt in it...

bex16150, Jun 12, 4:01am
could i use 'dairyfood' instead and would it wrk as well? am making some double choc muffins that call for a cup of yogurt, but have no fruity/plain yogurt left, just a couple of choc/strawb dairyfoods

TIA :)

jwn1, Jun 12, 4:08am
I think dairyfood is a different consistancy? I have successfully used sourcream or apple sauce if that helps.I do know that a cup of mashed banana is in my recipe instead

bex16150, Jun 12, 4:16am
ooh i have sour cream, thanks for the advice! :)

So it just adds to the moistness, it doesnt give them a strange taste or anything? (clearly I don't bake very often lol)

jwn1, Jun 12, 5:00am
No, no strange taste, it just has the same texture as yogurt - obviously some people may disagree, but I have a recipe for choc cake with that in it and have found it great - hope that it turns out!

alfredtonroad, Jun 12, 5:07am
i hve a chocolate cake recipe with mayonaise in it which i haven't tried, also a coconut recipe with mashed potato in it which i have tried and it was good, so it can be a matter of experimenting.

wildflower, Jun 13, 3:49am
Sour cream or yoghurt seem to crop up in a lot of muffin and cake recipes so sounds like either works well.

sunder1, Jun 13, 4:49am
You can also "sour" a cup of milk by adding 1 tsp vinegar leave to stand for about 5mins and use this in place of yoghurt

macandrosie, Jun 16, 7:19am
Yes I agree with sunder1 or a teaspoon of lemon juice. I've also used sour cream if I haven't had enough yoghurt, seems to be fine!