Apricot/Apple Breton...?

izant, Jun 10, 10:18pm
About 30 years ago Lois Daish published a recipe for Apricot Breton in the NZ Listener. I have googled, and looked in her recipe books at the library...but cant find the recipe. I've had it written in a small notebook all these years, and have baked it many times, but have now lost my notebook.

Does anyone have this recipe? It is a buttery pastry/cakey-type of base into which you press apples or apricots and sprinkle cinnamon sugar over. The base has flour/sugar/butter and is bound with egg yolk....I just cant remember the proportions.
Hoping someone can help cos it is my Mum's favourite pud and she is coming to stay with us so I want to make it for her!

indy95, Jun 11, 1:05am
Izant, this must be your lucky day. I almost threw it out during my latest cull of the recipe collection, one of many I might add, then changed my mind.

Apricot Bretonne

120 g plain flour
1 t baking powder
120 g butter
60 g caster sugar
1 egg yolk or 1 small whole egg
8 apricots
Sugar and cinnamon

Sift flour and baking powder together and rub in butter, then mix in sugar. Using a blunt knife mix in yolk or whole egg. Press together into a ball wrap and chill for 30 mins or so.

Grease a 20cm round loose-bottomed cake tin. Press the pastry evenly over the base then stone and slice apricots and arrange in a circular pattern over pastry. Sprinkle sugar and cinnamon generously over fruit. Bake at 190C for 30 to 40 mins. Let cool in the tin.

lindylambchops1, Jun 11, 1:45am
Oh yum this sounds delicious!Have put it into my recipes.Thanks!

izant, Jun 11, 6:41am
***Thank you SO MUCH Indy95!!!!***That is the exact recipe...!! How amazing that you had it, it isn't anywhere and I thihought I was the only person In NZ who still made it LOL! I will save it on my comp ...much safer that a notebook ;o)
lindylambchop[s1, it is a really easy and yummy thing to make...lovely served warm with icecream, cream and/or yoghurt. I use apple slices most of the time...mmmmmmm!!

lindylambchops1, Jun 11, 8:49am
I am on to it!Had apple crumble tonight.Just have to print off the recipe.

music_note, Jun 11, 11:34am
indy95 wrote:
Izant, this must be your lucky day. I almost threw it out during my latest cull of the recipe collection, one of many I might add, then changed my mind.

I'm wondering, are you going to list the recipe books you're not wanting??

indy95, Jun 12, 12:47am
Izant,I'm pretty amazed that I still have it too. There are obviously two of us who are still using this recipe and it is still delicious made with other fruit. Hope your Mum enjoys it.

Lindylambchops, you are welcome, glad to be able to pass it on.

Music_note, that day is quite a way off yet, I'm afraid.