What is the name of a cake from the 50;s/60's

Page 1 / 3
nauru, May 28, 5:24am
Malt Loaf

waswoods, May 28, 7:56am
There's a bakery in my suburb in Wellington that makes Battenburg cakes - delicious!

waswoods, May 28, 8:00am
And I've just seen a Rubik's cube Battenburg cake that I know my son would love for his birthday! Now where to buy a Battenburg cake tin!

whitehead., May 28, 9:00am
bake your sponge in a deep slice tin if you keep an eye out in op shops you will find them .its best to make home made amond paste it works better

dolphin101, May 29, 2:29am
the Lyric bakery in Hastingsmade yummy cakes and chocolates they made my wedding cake al those years ago

cgvl, May 29, 3:14am
PNth were the tea rooms The Windmill or did you go into one of the others on the square. Used to be able to get Battenburg from the Queen Anne shop (can't remember its proper name, but sold chocolates and Adams Bruce stuff)) next to old BNZ building corner square and Rangitikei and down Broadway near the Theatre (shop is still there too).
Was a butcher there as well that I remember.
Other tea rooms I remember were in the PDC building, back of what is now Arthur Toyes and Collinson and Cunninghams or Collinson and sons. Was another too down near where Macdonalds in the square is now. gee showing my age here but lunch at the Wiindmill or PDC was the highlight of a day in town.

biggles45, May 29, 3:14am
Yep, and sandwich them together with apricot jam and spread apricot jam on thinly before covering with almond paste. Yum.

lynja, May 29, 7:45am
10 o'clock cookie company in Masterton does sell this and it is delicious (as is everything they sell!)

korbo, May 29, 8:10am
mmm, gosh it was so long ago, think it was opposite the square, and you walked thru an electrical shop.havent been to PN for many a year.

korbo, Jun 8, 9:45am
that had pink and white sponge squares put together with almond paste.
When I was a teenager and stayed with aunty in school holidays in palm nth, we used to go to these tearooms, and they always had it.
anyone know.

cat286, Jun 8, 9:49am
neapolitan cake

toadfish, Jun 8, 9:51am
oooh oooh I know this one.... Battenberg Cake

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battenberg_cake

lindylambchops1, Jun 8, 9:53am
It was Battenberg cake & I loved it!

http://beadbagsfoodee.blogspot.com/2011/04/battenberg-cake-blue.htmlscroll down the page a little for pic!

lindylambchops1, Jun 8, 9:54am

cookessentials, Jun 8, 10:03am
Battenburg....one of my favourites.

cookessentials, Jun 8, 10:04am
You can ( or used to be able to) buy "Mrs Kiplings" mini Battenburgs in a pack at the supermarket.

jenniferanne, Jun 9, 8:10am
Years ago 10 o'clock cookie in Masterton used to make it - divine

cookessentials, Jun 9, 8:44am
Mmmm, not sure if they still do. I have not been in there for a while.

lindylambchops1, Jun 9, 9:07am
Ive never seen the Kipling cakes here.Must look harder.I love them!

korbo, Jun 9, 9:30am
that's it...ohh, my mouth is druling for a slice now. I can remember it so clearly, and to be honest dont think i have seen it for maybe 30 odd years.
who wants to make me one and satisfy my craving.....

toadfish, Jun 9, 9:51am
oooh oooh I know this one. Battenberg Cake

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battenberg_cake

cookessentials, Jun 9, 10:03am
Battenburg.one of my favourites.

kuaka, Jun 9, 10:10am
I pig out on it each time I go back to the UK to visit family, and one time I even brought two back (one for me and one for my next door neighbour who was also from the UK).Got up next morning, and hubby had eaten half of it and chucked all the marzipan in the rubbish - he said the cake would be alright if it wasn't for all the awful marzipan on it.Grrrr!!!

wheelz, Jun 9, 10:57pm
googles images for this..... the chocolate battenburg looks good

gerry64, Jun 10, 1:57am
I will have a slice as well please korbo - that really is a blast from the past -