Does anyone use Stevia instead of sugar?

Page 1 / 2
mich1976, Jun 7, 10:09pm
I would like to buy some and would like to know if all brands taste similar or is there a big difference? if so, which brand is the best?

auburn4, Jun 7, 10:36pm
I have tried Stevia liquid, sorry I can't remember the brand as I threw it out as it had a very strong taste. Also I had an intolerance to stevia, my body became unbearably itchy, no rash just itch like you wouldn't believe.

mich1976, Jun 7, 10:41pm
Thanks auburn4. pity you can buy a sample to try out.

mkbooks, Jun 8, 12:18am
You can buy granular stevia -by 100grams-at health food shop here-very expensive + I have no idea how much to use-sickly sweet, but not as bad as saccarine

duce3, Jun 8, 12:20am
Start with just a tiny pinch of the powdered stevia.You can always add more if you need it.The spoon you get with it in the US is super tiny like it would hold a drop of water size.

mich1976, Jun 8, 2:28am
Thanks everyone. I will get the powder.

norse_westie, Jun 8, 2:39am
I've just bought some to try: powder for cooking and cinnamon flavoured drops for in coffee etc.

rarogal, Jun 8, 3:01am
Is Stevia the same as Xylitol (sp?), that's what I used - its a natural sweetner that I used to get form the Health Shop and is as close to tasting like sugar as possible.

lythande1, Jun 8, 3:10am
has a weird aftertaste.

frances1266, Jun 8, 3:37am
I use 1T xylitol and 1t stevia powder for biscuits and it works fine.

wildflower, Jun 8, 4:03am
I bought some sachets in a box at Food show but I've only used 2 so far in my protein pancakes so can't really offer much help.They appealed though as low in carbs AND calories.

samboy, Jun 8, 5:17am
is it like equal or nutrisweet, I have never heard of stevia, just being curious opened this thread, what are the advantages?I use equal sachets all the time and have done for years

meetee, Jun 8, 5:52am
I have a stevia plant and chop some leaves to sweeten tomato soup but haven't done much else with it. I want to simmer the leaves and use that liquid to sweeten fruit but haven't done that yet.

lythande1, Jun 8, 6:06am
Low carbs - fake sugar, but you eat pancakes.
Would be easier to just eliminate flour- there's low carb.

auburn4, Jun 8, 9:38am
Stevia in NOT fake sugar. It is made from the Stevia rebaudiana plant. It is as natural as cane sugar. Steviahas a negligible effect on blood glucose, thus it is great as a natural sweetener to people on carbohydrate-controlled diets.

yjeva, Jun 8, 9:39am
I thought it was foul!I use Splenda.

mich1976, Jun 8, 8:53pm
I bought some yesterday afternoon. Tastes great and no calories or carbs and no bad ingredients! Got the 100 percent Stevie powder.

mich1976, Jun 8, 10:09pm
I would like to buy some and would like to know if all brands taste similar or is there a big difference! if so, which brand is the best!

auburn4, Jun 8, 10:36pm
I have tried Stevia liquid, sorry I can't remember the brand as I threw it out as it had a very strong taste. Also I had an intolerance to stevia, my body became unbearably itchy, no rash just itch like you wouldn't believe.

coolkiwibird, Jun 9, 12:09am
I used 4 leaves in my rhubarb and apple and it was lovely. No aftertaste like that. Dried it is easy to use but makes mufflins look like Zucchini with the green bits. Lol. I have a plant that comes up each year.

norse_westie, Jun 9, 2:39am
I've just bought some to try: powder for cooking and cinnamon flavoured drops for in coffee etc.

rarogal, Jun 9, 3:01am
Is Stevia the same as Xylitol (sp!), that's what I used - its a natural sweetner that I used to get form the Health Shop and is as close to tasting like sugar as possible.

wildflower, Jun 9, 3:56am
There is no flour in them, light cottage cheese, egg whites, cinnamon, protein powder, small amount rolled oats.

Don't assume.

Stevia is nothing like artificial sweeteners, it's a natural plant based product.

wildflower, Jun 9, 4:03am
I bought some sachets in a box at Food show but I've only used 2 so far in my protein pancakes so can't really offer much help.They appealed though as low in carbs AND calories.

samboy, Jun 9, 5:17am
is it like equal or nutrisweet, I have never heard of stevia, just being curious opened this thread, what are the advantages!I use equal sachets all the time and have done for years