Lunch ideas for hubby...help!

jodie-mike, Jun 7, 5:14am
Hi,
poor hubby has pleaded with me to stop with the instant microwavable meals that i have been providing him with for his lunches...i have a miss 9 weeks with me so i havent had the time to make him the usual packed lunch.
Any ideas for things i could make in advance for him to take to lunch?
He eats on the run at work and often has to put food down and come back to it when he is free, so nothing that will go soggy and ick please.
And NO, he is NOT capable of doing this for himself! lol.

theanimal1, Jun 7, 5:27am
savoury scones
savoury muffins
bacon and egg pie
quiche
pasta salad in air tight container
cooked chicken bits
meatballs (alot can be eaten cold)

melford, Jun 7, 6:05am
This is what my adult son likes. 1. Small can red salmon with a pull top opener along with a green salad in a container. 2.Large Rice ball from Sushi Shop. 3.Weightwatchers tuna with salad containing chickpeas, pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds. 4. Ham Sandwiches. 5 Homemade Meusli Slice (got a great recipe no flour) pasta salad

jodie-mike, Jun 7, 6:46am
Yum, could i have muesli slice recipe please?

eddiedean, Jun 7, 6:48am
Those large rice balls from the sushi shop are awesome!! They taste great and they fill you up. God i could go for one right now

herself, Jun 7, 6:55am
My husband has a particular liking for cold sausages wrapped in bread that has first been spread with my homemade tamarillo chutney for his lunch. Tomato sauce on the bread is second choice and mustard comes in after that. lol

lx4000, Jun 7, 7:15am
pancakes! Toasted sandwiches, thermos of soup. Most things can be prepped then frozen and taken out on the day so he gets a choice:)

peterlap1, Jun 7, 10:08pm
My wife makes various pies in the electric pie maker. A good size for lunch.
Leftover mince, stew, or casserole from the night before is delicious.
Smoked fish is her favourite.
She also makes fruit ones, apple, blueberry, rhubarb and apple, blackberry and apple.
They cook really quickly and there is no mess.

fifie, Jun 7, 10:31pm
Buy him a wide neck food thermos heat up leftovers from previous nights meal or prepare something else, if he gets called away pop lid on and come back to it.
Soup, cherrios or cut up saveloys tomato sauce, meatballs/ sauce, fish pie, mince, casseroles, etc all good hot food for winter lunches.

melford, Jun 7, 10:43pm
Honey Oat Muesli Bars
125g unsalted butter
150g soft brown sugar or light muscovado sugar
125g no-sugar-added crunchy peanut butter
75g honey, plus a little more to finish
Finely grated zest of 1 orange
Finely grated zest of 1 lemon
200g porridge oats (not jumbo)
150g dried fruit, such as raisins, sultanas and chopped apricots, prunes or dates, either singly or in combination
150g mixed seeds, such as pumpkin, sunflower, poppy, linseed and sesame

1. Grease and line a baking tin, about 20cm square. Put the butter, sugar, peanut butter, honey and grated citrus zests in a deep saucepan over a very low heat. Leave until melted, stirring from time to time.

2. Stir the oats, dried fruit and three-quarters of the seeds into the melted butter mixture until thoroughly combined. Spread the mixture out evenly in the baking tin, smoothing the top as you go.

3. Scatter the remaining seeds over the surface and trickle with a little more honey. Place in an oven preheated to 160°C/Gas Mark 3 and bake for about 30 minutes, until golden in the centre and golden brown at the edges.

4. Leave to cool completely in the tin (be patient - it cuts much better when cold), then turn out and cut into squares with a sharp knife. These bars will keep for 5-7 days in an airtight tin.

This recipe was from River Cottage and I find it delicious and so easy to make

lindylambchops1, Jun 8, 1:01am
Just recently purchased the 4 pie maker, it is brilliant!

jodie-mike, Jun 8, 5:14am
Hi,
poor hubby has pleaded with me to stop with the instant microwavable meals that i have been providing him with for his lunches.i have a miss 9 weeks with me so i havent had the time to make him the usual packed lunch.
Any ideas for things i could make in advance for him to take to lunch!
He eats on the run at work and often has to put food down and come back to it when he is free, so nothing that will go soggy and ick please.
And NO, he is NOT capable of doing this for himself! lol.

jodie-mike, Jun 8, 6:46am
Yum, could i have muesli slice recipe please!

eddiedean, Jun 8, 6:48am
Those large rice balls from the sushi shop are awesome! They taste great and they fill you up. God i could go for one right now

jodie-mike, Jun 9, 5:38am
Great suggestions! I might look at a pie maker too, he is VERY partial to the old petrol station pie so this might be an extra special treat for him.
Thanks for recipe melford, i will save it for future use.

dolphin9, Jun 9, 5:45am
Mu hubby like taking fuit loaf you buy at the supermarket, just done with butter as sandwiches