Wild Pork!

Page 1 / 2
summit69, Jun 6, 3:45am
Best way to cook please?Longer and lower temp that store bought pork?.. It's a leg Many thanks!

joberri, Jun 6, 5:18am
yep and leave all skin on to keep moist cook covered then take lid off for last hour or so

sultana0, Jun 6, 5:40am
You lucky bugga

beblowin, Jun 6, 6:20am
I made mince and sausages from the last 2, 60kgs worth and my butcher done it for $15, you can do magic with these 2 simple ingredints, if butchering it up to roasts or other cuts, cook slowly, tenderise any steaks as the meat can be tough

beblowin, Jun 6, 6:25am
when roasting keep very moist form drying out and use the liquid for gravey yumm

uli, Jun 6, 8:06am
Definitely slow and long - it has walked on that leg - remember!
I use lots of fresh thyme, rosemary and some juniper berries, chopped onion and garlic and bay leaves and lots of red wine and chilli and a bit of salt.
If it fits the slow cooker - go for that!

rachbabe, Jun 6, 8:32am
Hubby is a pig hunter, we have the stuff coming out of our ears!!! (so to speak) - only way to get me to eat it is to get it made into sausages (costs us $45 for a whole pig - and lasts us a few months) or put it in a hangi :)

uli, Jun 6, 8:33am
Sounds sad to me rachbabe - why don't you try my recipe above?
Wild pork is so delicious!

korbo, Jun 6, 7:05pm
i always put some brown sugar or drizzzle some gold syrup iver the top of wild pork, just seems to take away the gamey taste......

summit69, Jun 6, 8:56pm
Thanks guyz... had it last night and was a bit dry (bugger it!!) still enjoyed it love wild pork! some of the suggestions did'nt come in until after I'd cooked it so will know for next time, I'm sure there will be plenty more we live in the Rai Valley after all had a wild pig run past the kitchen window the other morn! lol

nzl99, Jun 6, 11:41pm
Very jealous!

rachbabe, Jun 10, 3:44am
@uli - I think I'm too spoilt. I just can't bring myself to eat it if it tastes too gamey. I have no problem cooking it for hubby a couple of times a week - my stomach just can't handle it :(
I will try your recipe one day though - it sounds yum :)

beaker59, Jun 10, 4:35am
Does your husband skin or singe. I am not a fan of singed pigs as they sometimes are a bit gamey for me even a skinned pig particularly a nice fat smaller pig tastes awesome and not gamey at all.

gerry64, Jun 10, 4:43am
crock pot

rachbabe, Jun 10, 6:20am
He skins them - I think my very first taste a few years back put me off a bit - tried it at a mates place and I don't know, it just didn't taste nice at all.

ange164, Jun 10, 8:42pm
I'm in this boat too.
I don't have the red wine or juniper berries for Uli's recipe.
I do have a large crock pot I can cook it in.
Do I take the skin off for the crock pot? I have no idea if it was singed or skinned - it's still a UFO in the freezer at this point.

beaker59, Jun 11, 1:36am
The difference is established at the start so singed or skinned at frozen stage makes little difference and I should point out the difference is purely personal taste either way can be delicious or not depending more on the pig itself. I like to skin though I have friends who swear that is a terrible waste :)

I have found that wild meats are really dependant on the animal and the cut, hunters rarely give away the best bits of the best animals ;) If I get a nice fat young Sika I would never give away the inner eye fillet steaks I will share them with my wife but thats all.

summit69, Jun 11, 2:28am
This is the first peice of wild pork that I've eaten skinned have only ever eaten with skin on singed and I thinki prefer it this way keeps it that much more moist...

uli, Jun 11, 8:28am
I skin all my kunes - which are nearly the same taste as wild pigs, as they are two or three years old by the time they get killed. They live mainly on grass with some apples and feijoas thrown in in autumn and some vege peelings. So very slow growing but very tasty.

You can leave out the juniper berries, just use thyme and rosemary instead. You can use cider instead of red wine or add some apples if you like that, or even a bit of vinegar. The wine gives it more flavour though and a cheap carton costs around 18 dollars for 3 liters (cheaper on special) - that is 6 pork roasts worth at $3 each!

fenian1, Jun 11, 8:35am
so generous to share with wife!!! But i know what you mean

beaker59, Jun 11, 10:24am
Nothing generous about it a nice dinner of best steak you ever ate with a bottle of pinot and soft lighting etc etc I see that as a win win situation ;)

ange164, Jun 11, 11:37pm
Thank you. It's in the crock pot skinned (the singe smelt so strong when I opened up the package!) With rosemary, marjoram (because I don't have any thyme in my garden.) and a splash of white winebecause I figured that had to be tastier than vinegar which was my only alternative.

Thanks for your help.

havana11, Jun 11, 11:49pm
Long slow covered cook in the oven with garlic, ginger and small amount of orange juice squeezed over the top, then add a spoonful of brown sugar....mmmmm.

ange164, Jun 12, 6:26am
delicious. not too "gamey" at all and not a bit dry.

beaker59, Jun 12, 6:55am
Excellent well done ange.

Just watched Jame Oliver hunt and then cook a wild boar ragout looked pretty tasty though the italian Mamas gave him a hard time :)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Yd-L25gLmAU&feature=related